1911Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been attending some bullseye shoot lately and have had to use my buddies gun. I would like to use my own soon even if it is not as accurate.

Right now it is a stock Kimber 9mm Stainless with adj sights.(the shoots are informal and 9mm is allowed)

What would be the best combo of mods to bump the accuracy?

I could spend around 400 unless spending a bit more would give me a much better improvement.

who would be a good smith for this sort of informal build? (I'm in houston but will ship)

·
Registered
243 Posts
Without seeing your gun it is tough to recommend improvements but if you are going to shoot Bullseye you need maxi accuracy so.........

Check your frame to slide fit. You want it to be reasonably snug. Some vertical play is ok, but you want the side to side play as small as possible. Cost to fit the frame/slide and hand lap it in should be around $150.00.

Replace the barrel with a oversized, premium match grade barrel AND have it properly fit. While buying a quality barrel is important, having it properly fit is even more important. Have someone who really knows what they are doing do the fitting and if Bullseye is going to be your game make sure they know that. Bullseye barrels are fit a little differently then self defense or USPSA barrels. Price should be around $300.00 for the barrel and the fitting. If the barrel is fit right it is going to need to be broken in with several hundred rounds so be prepared...........

The two above improvements, using good ammo, should give you a gun capable of groups around 2"-3" at 50 yards as long as there are no hidden problems with the basic gun. Keep in mind that 9mm gun's can be very picky about what ammo they like so you may have to do some experimenting to find a load it likes. Stay with a high quality 147 gr JHP bullet. It gives you a longer bearing surface and the hollow point ensures the base of the bullet will be square which is very important.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
You might consider first just testing what you have, if possible with a Ransom Rest, but definitely with a rest of some kind. And a scope if possible.

If you don't know what size groups you're getting now, how do you know if it needs any changes, or whether the changes made any difference?

If you have any local smith available, you might first try just changing to a more closely fitted bushing, and see if they can use the original barrel. Should cost $50 or less, for everything, including parts & labor, and no shipping. (It's the shipping that is gouges you.)

If you're just starting bullseye, a 4" or 5" group might be acceptable. For example, in a match, at 50 yards freehand, I would be ecstatic shooting an 8" group myself, as that would be all in the black. I've never yet gotten all 10 in the black and I already shoot a gun with a test target that is 3" at 50 yards.

My point is, don't be too anxious to spend money, unless you're sure you already need it. If you're getting hits in the 6 ring and 5 ring (or worse) you might not need a new barrel just yet.

9mm is allowed in the Centerfire portion whether it's formal or not. Just not in the .45 portion. (Or the .22 portion...)

·
Registered
472 Posts
bushing

From talking to my pistolsmith and others, the first step to improving accuracy with the factory barrel is to have a match bushing installed. Slide to frame fit is of minor importance. It helps to tighten the fram to slide fit, but that is not the most important thing. If installing a bushing doesn't give you satisfactory accuracy, then I would consider a barrel replacement.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.