1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are looking at putting in a pistol range but want to be able to retrieve the lead bullets. Does anyone have such a range and if so would you be willing to share the plans. Also thank you to all who have given us answers to our questions. We do appreciate it.:confused:

·
Registered
114 Posts
On TV, they always shoot the bullet into a tank of water for bullet recovery. Maybe you can have both a range and a tank or barrel of water ?

·
Registered
257 Posts
I assume that you are talking about cleaning up lead rounds from the ground in order to prevent environmental contamination on an outdoor range.

I recently read an article that discussed a local range that needed to adopt some lead control practices. I believe the article mentioned a couple of related agencies that are in charge of that kind of process. Maybe you can read the article and find the lead info.

http://www.westword.com/issues/2003-10-23/feature.html/1/index.html

·
Registered
469 Posts
My club installed backstops made from shredded tires. I platform (at 30 degrees or so) was built to support about 1.5 feet of the shredded rubber. The rubber absorbs the energy from the bullets and you can retreive the bullets from the rubber. If you want to spend more money, there's an option to add a vibrator to the platform to shake out the bullets. As the platform vibrates, the heavier bullets will sink through the rubber pieces and end up at the bottom of the platform.

Another way to collect the bullets is to use a snail type trap.

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
At the range I belong to, the backstop is made of heavy gauge steel and runs from floor to ceiling. The steel is angled so when the bullet hits, it is directed upwards. At the top of the backstop is another piece of heavy steel that is fastened flat to the ceiling.
When fired, the bullet strikes the backstop, is directed upwards hitting the steel ceiling and then drops back down to the floor.
All the lead winds up 2-3 feet in front of the bottom of the backstop.

I'm not sure what angle the backstop measures, probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 45 degrees.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Here's an outfit that makes a few different systems that do that. Kinda spendy though, but you may get some ideas from their designs. I think I read an article about them in the American Rifleman sometime back.
Snail systems

1 - 6 of 6 Posts