1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am on the list for a 10mm barrel to put in my P-16. I am geting the barrel from Bar-sto
Barrels. Has anybody else made this transformation? I am sending in the gun to have it fit for the best possible work. Other 10mm Para users your thoughts would be appreciated.

shooter22

------------------
shooter22

·
Registered
562 Posts
I too am looking at getting a 10mm barrel for my P-16 Limited and would like to know the ups and downs and also some guesstimates on price

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm still in the "we are makin' the barrel, please be patient" phase. The barrel is $185 and must be fitted. I don't know what fitting and shipping is going to cost.

------------------
shooter22

·
Registered
163 Posts
A 10mm Para you say. . .

I have just converted my P16 (duo-tone) from .40S&W to 10mm. I didn't go with a
Bar Sto barrel (not because of any problems that I perceive with them, I mean my P12 has a Bar Sto 400 CorBon barrel that's great), but because of the turn around time. Just seemed so long. I had a WAIT for the 400 CB, and I didn't want the same wait.

I picked up a 10mm barrel from Ed Brown. Cost was $210. It was a "drop in" fit, but it didn't just drop in. The work looked to be a pinch more then what I wanted to attempt, so I shipped the pistol to Ed Brown and had it fitted for $75 bux and had the pistol back in 3 days.

I got to fire the pistol on Friday for the first time. I had a 24lb Wolff spring in the P16 and the pistol worked without function. I ran about 250 rounds through it. 150 rounds of Georgia Arms 155gr and the rest a mix of 155gr and 180gr ProLoad.

I had my G29 with me and in comparison to recoil, the P16 has a bit more muzzle movement, but that's due to the bore axis more so then anything else. . . I think!

IMHO, the P16 in 10mm is THE only pistol to have. Now of course I am not getting rid of my other ones, I wouldn't want to give 'em an inferiority complex!

If BarSto is quoting a supremely long turn around time on the barrel, call Ed Brown. I was quoted a 6-8 week turn around time, but I had the barrel in 3.5 weeks.

Derek

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Viesczy, I don't mind the turn around time. I would like to see what type of work they do. Besides, I have a new toy coming tomorrow. My Springfield V-16 Super 45 will be here. I have already reloaded for it. I am almost like a little kid waiting to open the Christmas presents the night before. I may not sleep.

Do you reload? I will be developing loads for the P-16 when I get it back. By then I hope to have the loads worked up for the 45 Super.

------------------
shooter22

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hi Shooter22.

Do I reload?

Well, my grandfather had reloading equipment and loaded for his trap guns and his 257 Roberts rifle, so I merely purchased the needed reloading equipment to load for 10mm. When my Pop-pop died on 10.30.99, that reloading equipment, 2 skeet/trap guns and rifle were willed to my uncle. I was offered everything at full current retail price, dear uncle Erroll wanted to sell everything not just the reloading equipment.

So, currently I don't reload.

I know, I know I should've gotten everything by now, but I procrastinate.

As for my reloading, I wasn't exactly the most scientific, hey I was young and dumb. I simply just loaded the max loads listed and saw what they could do. I didn't do any of the reduce by 10% stuff, but I also never jumped up above the max loads either.

From my G20 the lightweight 135gr 10mm loading with max Power Pistol (I think the listed is 10.6 or 10.7, I don't recall but it was the max listed) load was moving at 1485fps.

I never really tried any home brewed fun. . . just what was listed.

Over on the Gloctalk.com 10 Ring (10mm fan area) I know that Mike has some greatn numbers from his G10 with a KKM 6" barrel. A guy over on TFL has the 200gr XTP moving 1275fps from his stock G20 barrel.

Derek

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you ever do decide to get into it, let me know and I will get you some good prices. I have found that accuracy can be achieved even in semi-auto pistols out of the box with the right rounds. Then add in a factory work-up job and who knows. So far I only shoot factory out of the box. The 10mm barrel is my first alteration to the Para, other than the grips.

------------------
shooter22

·
Registered
163 Posts
I also had my P12 converted to 400 CorBon as I have stated and all has been fine after the barrel broke in a bit--it really had a tight link.

There's been a bunch of Para bashing as of late, but I must be getting my Paras from a different source because I have had no major problems. The worst problem I had was the mag springs were getting a little weak.

I'm a keepin' mine!

Derek

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I must be getting mine where you get yours, my only problem so far is I don't have one of everything they sell

shooter22.

------------------
shooter22

1 - 9 of 9 Posts