1911Forum banner

Malfunction Question

1098 5
I have a used Springfield Gov't loaded model that I just picked up and haven't shot yet.
I also just received 2 new 8 round magazines (made by Colt I think). I put one in the gun and chambered a round. No problem. Removed the magazine, ejected the chambered round. Repeated the procedure. This time when I tried to eject the chambered round the slide didn't want to come back. It would only move a fraction of an inch. No, the safety wasn't on. Eventually I got it open, but I've never experienced that before with any other autos, so anyone know what might've caused this? Thanks for your help!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
437 Posts
Noah, sounds like the same thing that happened to me today on my first outing with my loaded fullsize.It happened every other round and i had to rack the slide to eject a round and chamber a new one. it seems to me that the round is getting stuck between the mag and the barrel. it didn't happen as often the more i shot. I only shot 100rds. i hope this is only a break in deal. it seems as the slide isn't closing hard as needed. i've taken the pistol down did a little work with some emery and cleaned/lubed. i'll try again tomorrow.

· Registered
22 Posts
I do not know if this is related, but I had a problem with my new "loaded" SS Springfield 1911. The slide would jam onto the frame making take down almost impossible. It had no problem during the firing cycle, but when you tied to take it apart it would bind up so bad it would not budge.

Took it to a good gunsmith and after struggling to get it apart he measured the rails. Seems like there was a "bulge" on the right rail. Just a spot where it was thicker than the rest of the rail. He filed it down a little bit and then lapped the slide. I now have a great working 1911, just as smooth as you could ask for and still very accurate.

· Registered
263 Posts
Noah/Joee

What you're describing may be an ammunition and chamber issue.

If your ammo is out of spec, and/or you have a tight chamber, the round will wedge into the chamber, requiring considerable effort to rack it out.

It's "usually" reloads or out-of-spec factory ammo, but some chambers are very tight. If the problem persists with quality factory ammo, consider getting the chamber checked, polished and/or reamed.

HTH

· Registered
437 Posts
JSP, Thanks for ur imput, i'm using new factory ammo. win/cci ball and hp. the pistol will shoot fine if i only put 5rds in the mag but if i load it full i can feel the mag spring binding. i'll try a aftermarket mag

· Registered
437 Posts
my feed problem cleared up just fine at about 400rds. all of a sudden the pistol started shooting great,put another 100rds. thru and no problems...........must have been some sort of burr got knocked off the change was so sudden. one thing i did find is that you should hear a click when you put the rounds in the mag and also make sure they are nose up,not flat or pointed down.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.