1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the full length guide rod vs. standard rod/plug has been debated to death, and I don't want to get into that here. What I do want to know is ... has anyone in this forum experienced any malfunction whatsoever that was attributed to a full-length guide rod? I'm not talking about a FLGR that didn't fit the gun in the first place, but one that seemed to be fine until ........

Thanks

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
In a way yes,,,I run the range for my agency, several officers have chosen to carry a Springfield with a FLGR. These are the two piece units. Many, many times the damn things have come unscrewed and locked the guns up. The shooting gets stopped and we are delayed while these clowns "fix" their guns so they can shoot with the rest of us. I have told them how to cure the problem but they are typical smarta*#@ know it all's. I cant get a supervisor to support me so,,,here we go again and again and again.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ken --- Thanks for your reply. Why do you think the rods came unscrewed, and what can be done to prevent that? Do you personally prefer the standard short rod/plug?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I do prefer the standard length guide rod especially for my duty guns. I makes take down so easy.

The FLGR's unscrewed due to vibration from firing the gun and the way the spring is wound each time it compresses it puts some pressure on the rod, something like a spring loaded screw driver.

To prevent this, use a small piece of teflon joint tape, very small piece, dont leave any hanging out of the joint. Or, use the real soft set Loctite, I think its purple in color.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Ok, the 2-piece full length rods can come unscrewed. Most FL rods are one single piece, however. Hey, someone even said that the end plug became "worn out" and let the spring shoot out the front. That's a good one!
-Sparks

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have shot FLGR in my guns for a couple years. Shooting competition and Police quals. I have never seen a malfunction caused by one. I have never had mine shoot loose. I think if this is a problem it is the guy not properly installing the damn thing. If you put it in finger tight maybe otherwise BS. I've shoot thousands of rounds and NEVER seen it happen.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Although I doubt that you get any significant upgrade in functionality WITH a full-length rod, if you choose to use one,try to stick with a one-piece to prevent the problem mentioned above, which is VERY common. The Wilson one-piece rod seems to work well for me.

HOWEVER, long ago, I set up my duty SA 1911A1 Loaded with a "standard" recoil spring guide & plug etc. Somewhere in my "spares" box, I still have that SA factory two-piece rod, but it has long since been Loc-tited into a ONE piece rod which won't malfunction on me.

Stay Safe

·
Banned
5,947 Posts
Ten years of shooting a Colt 1991-A1 with a one piece FLGR. Never, ever had a problem with this configuration. Wouldn't touch a two piece guide rod.
SamColtFan

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I think I should add that I have never seen a problem with a one piece FLGR. I even had one for a while, it came with the used gun, I shot the gun quite a bit, and finally put in a standard length rod just to suite me.

·
Registered
441 Posts
My old Gold Cup, that I bought used, had a Wilson one piece FLGR in it. I never had a problem with it in many thousands of rounds fired.
My new Kimber came with one in it. I have only put about 600 rounds through it so far without a problem.
I don't believe that a FLGR is necessary. They were in the guns when I bought them and I didn't take them out.
My previous four 1911's did not have them and I never had a recoil spring problem with any of them either.

For the record, I do not bet my life on my 1911. Mostly because I shoot a K-frame S&W better, and prefer a shotgun or carbine as a primary weapon.
------------------
Neil
"I AM my brothers keeper"

[This message has been edited by Neil Casper (edited 06-11-2001).]

·
Registered
285 Posts
many guns with flgr in place no problems , dont like the style of the modern springfeilds , stick with one peice ones and no problems . of course you cant calvary cock the dang gun with a flgr in place .

·
2,897 Posts
One piece FLGRs for defense/carry gun and you'll NEVER have a problem with the rod if it fits the gun properly initially.

Two piece FLGRs are for game guns only.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've used both 2 piece & 1 piece Guide rod. I will never own another 2 piece rod again. The 2 piece rod has a tendency to separate no matter what you do to it. Just my .02 worth.

Aif

1 - 14 of 14 Posts