1911Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(I also posted this in the Ammo section)

The other day my 1911 malfunctioned four times while shooting Fiocchi 230 gr FMJs. I bought the 50 pack and shot all of it with my Wilson 47D mags. Two times after firing the second to last round, the last fresh round ejected completely with it. The other two times the last fresh round got stuck between the ejection port and the slide. All four times I reloaded the last round into the gun and fired.

The last time I shot Fiocchis I had a different problem - after ejecting the spent mag and loading a fresh one, the slide automatically slammed shut and chambered the first round. The range master told me this was because the ammo did not create enough recoil to lock the slide back completely after firing the last round.

Are Fiocchi's no good? Or is there a problem with my 1911? (Colt Series 80)

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Brett Joshua said:
(I also posted this in the Ammo section)

The last time I shot Fiocchis I had a different problem - after ejecting the spent mag and loading a fresh one, the slide automatically slammed shut and chambered the first round. The range master told me this was because the ammo did not create enough recoil to lock the slide back completely after firing the last round.

Are Fiocchi's no good? Or is there a problem with my 1911? (Colt Series 80)

Thanks!
Fiocchi loads some of the hottest factory ammo on the market and generally has a good reputation. I might suspect your recoil spring is too stiff or possibly the slide lock lever is worn on the edge that is supposed to hold against the slide cut out. Also check the slide for rounding over there.

The other problems you describe make me suspect a weak mag spring because they are occurring near the last rounds where the mag spring is extended and giving minimum spring force.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I cleaned the gun tonight and the slide lock lever did not look worn. I bought the weapon NIB in April and have now used over 10 different types of ammo. I have only had problems with Fiocchi. So far, Federals and Winchesters work extremely well.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Never cared for "Fa-jokey" ammo. It caused me some problems in the past too.

My favorite 230fmj is S&B. A good, hot load that works every time.

Any gun can have a little ammunition sensitivity. Yours just may not like that load. If it works with everything else as you say, the logical explaination is the ammo caused it.

The next most logical explaination is the magazine spring.

·
Registered
9,203 Posts
Closed. Please post only one thread regarding a question.

Continue the discussion in the AMMO CAN forum.

Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.