1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What organization manufactures Les Baer 1911 magazines in .45 caliber? I doubt they manufacture them in house.

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
I wish I knew.....so I could be assured to never buy any on the aftermarket, lol.

I don’t mind them as range mags....but I never carry them.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I shot my Concept VII for the first time today using 2 LB mags and 1 WC mag. I had 10 FTF with the LB mags out of 130 rounds. None with the Wilson Combat. This was using a mixture of Fiochi 230 grain ball and Federal Premium HP's. My gun is still in the break-in period even though it was made in 1997 but I do feel that factory magazines contributed to the FTF's I had. No other issues at all.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I shot my Concept VII for the first time today using 2 LB mags and 1 WC mag. I had 10 FTF with the LB mags out of 130 rounds. None with the Wilson Combat. This was using a mixture of Fiochi 230 grain ball and Federal Premium HP's. My gun is still in the break-in period even though it was made in 1997 but I do feel that factory magazines contributed to the FTF's I had. No other issues at all.
If you had 10 FTF with the LB mags using ball, that's unacceptable, IMO>

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Having read through this thread I was understandably leery about the 2 magazines that came with my new Premier II, so last week I ordered a couple of Wilson Elite Tactical magazines as replacements.

The Wilsons came in today and I immediately put them into my Prem II to check fit. I was dismayed to discover they wouldn't stay seated in the mag well unless I pounded them in with my fist, but then the mag release wouldn't function properly when I did that. So I surmised the Wilson mag wasn't sliding up far enough for the mag catch to engage unless forced. I put the LB and Wilson mags side by side and although different in design they appeared to be pretty much identical in size, and the magazine catch holes seemed to be in the same location as well. What to do?

I then removed the mag catch button from the Prem II and slid the LB mag in to see where the catch hole lined up. Next I did the same with the Wilson and saw that its catch hole was not as high up as the LB mag to engage the mag catch properly. Which maker at fautl?

No matter which one was out of spec, it was clear that a "modification" was in order to make things right. So I took my trusty Dremel and just slightly shaved the upper edge of the Wilson catch hole just enough to where it engaged the mag catch in the Prem II, and now all is well. The things we gotta do with a "custom" pistol !! Thanks for reading - happy shooting, stay safe!

·
Premium Member
2,655 Posts
Other than Wilson mags, I have yet to buy a new 1911 that came w/ mags that actually work.

Baer: No
Nighthawk: No (Italian-made)
ACW: No (Italian-made)

I now only carry Wilson and Tripp Research mags. Everything else is for training only, and I plan to get rid of those as soon as I can replace them w/ Wilson and Tripp mags.

Exception: STI 2nd gen mags work fine w/ my 2019 STI.

Note: Whether mags work w/ 1911s or not seems to be a function of the gun and not necessarily the mag. All my 1911s except one have problems w/ certain mags. But, a recently acquired a Hillsdale/Baer SRP will use everything I have w/o a problem. Odd.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have never even used the mags that came with my LB Gunsite (they are still wrapped in the paper in the factory box). I purchased Tripp Research mags. From round 1 they and the pistol has been 100% reliable.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Having read through this thread I was understandably leery about the 2 magazines that came with my new Premier II, so last week I ordered a couple of Wilson Elite Tactical magazines as replacements.
View attachment 600282

The Wilsons came in today and I immediately put them into my Prem II to check fit. I was dismayed to discover they wouldn't stay seated in the mag well unless I pounded them in with my fist, but then the mag release wouldn't function properly when I did that. So I surmised the Wilson mag wasn't sliding up far enough for the mag catch to engage unless forced. I put the LB and Wilson mags side by side and although different in design they appeared to be pretty much identical in size, and the magazine catch holes seemed to be in the same location as well. What to do?

View attachment 600283

I then removed the mag catch button from the Prem II and slid the LB mag in to see where the catch hole lined up. Next I did the same with the Wilson and saw that its catch hole was not as high up as the LB mag to engage the mag catch properly. Which maker at fautl?

View attachment 600285

View attachment 600287

No matter which one was out of spec, it was clear that a "modification" was in order to make things right. So I took my trusty Dremel and just slightly shaved the upper edge of the Wilson catch hole just enough to where it engaged the mag catch in the Prem II, and now all is well. The things we gotta do with a "custom" pistol !! Thanks for reading - happy shooting, stay safe!
Did you check if the Wilson mag had interference at the base pad nose before dremeling it?

Note: I received a magazine from Wilson that wasn't right, their customer service is outstanding. They went above and beyond to correct the issue.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I've been using Les Baer mags in my PII since I purchased it in 2001. I had trouble at first, but after talking to Les he told me to leave them fully loaded for a few days and try them again. Not one issue since! I also have Tripp mags that have worked great since day one. My ACW came with ACT mags. They were stiff at first, so left them loaded a couple days and had no problem in either gun. Both guns now run fine with the LB, Tripp, or Act mags.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Did you check if the Wilson mag had interference at the base pad nose before dremeling it?

You make a valid point. I "eyeballed" the base pads side by side just briefly and the "steps" on each appeared to be at the same level. If anything, the Wilson step might even be a bit shorter, which should allow the mag to sit higher up in the well, enough to engage the mag catch in the frame, but not so. When fully inserted, I noticed the tops of both the LB and the Wilson mags sit at the same position in the chamber/receiver area. Shaving the base pad on the Wilson would definitely allow that mag to sit high enough to engage the catch, but then I would worry if the elevated position might cause interference with the operation of the slide. Whatever, I've already shaved the catch notches on the Wilsons and everything's good now. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Other than Wilson mags, I have yet to buy a new 1911 that came w/ mags that actually work.

Baer: No
Nighthawk: No (Italian-made)
ACW: No (Italian-made)

I now only carry Wilson and Tripp Research mags. Everything else is for training only, and I plan to get rid of those as soon as I can replace them w/ Wilson and Tripp mags.

Exception: STI 2nd gen mags work fine w/ my 2019 STI.

Note: Whether mags work w/ 1911s or not seems to be a function of the gun and not necessarily the mag. All my 1911s except one have problems w/ certain mags. But, a recently acquired Hillsdale/Baer SRP will use everything I have w/o a problem. Odd.
I guess the Nighthawk and ACW mags are Mec-Gar. Bummer they don't come with mags like Wilson, Tripp, or Checkmate (my favorite).

I have some experience with 1911s and don't see it as odd the Hillsdale/Baer has no problem with all mags. IMO, the issue mags being the problem if a 1911 doesn't run well is over stated if not very much so. I've had 1911s that were picky with mags but I have a good quality one that runs with all the mags I tried. The difference is the quality of the 1911.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I guess the Nighthawk and ACW mags are Mec-Gar. Bummer they don't come with mags like Wilson, Tripp, or Checkmate (my favorite).

I have some experience with 1911s and don't see it as odd the Hillsdale/Baer has no problem with all mags. IMO, the issue mags being the problem if a 1911 doesn't run well is over stated if not very much so. I've had 1911s that were picky with mags but I have a good quality one that runs with all the mags I tried. The difference is the quality of the 1911.
My ACW came with ACT mags

·
Registered
41 Posts
It seems to be more of an individual gun and mag issue rather than specific to any particular brand of either. However, my experience has been Tripps work in anything all the time with Wilson a close second.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Chip McCormick, Wilson, Tripp and Checkmate, in that order. I‘ve relegated my Baer Mags to ranhe practice.

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
Through hundreds of new guns tested, I've not had a malfunction that I could attribute to the magazines we are using. (the same half dozen mags have been used for the last 3 years...no cleaning, no new springs, no nothing) If I run into an issue in test fire, I go elsewhere other than blaming the magazine.

And just so you know, Baer mags are a clone of the Wilson 47d and they have never failed me in a properly tuned gun. If you have new Baer mags and they seem to not work in the gun, there's something wrong with the gun. Improper timing, extractor setup, wrong spring combo for the ammo, etc. I would be willing to bet that if you really dug into it, you'd find the issue and once taken care of the magazines were not really the problem.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts