1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you think that the major manufactures read this forum and
others similar? Or do they just not care? I would think that they
could learn allot about what there consumers want and what is or
is not working without actually have to talk to a person. Sort of like free research for them.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I'd say they are watching; how much they are using the research is open to debate.

It's definitely a great resource for them, but I see far more makers of aftermarket gear hanging out and getting really involved.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Yes- in the Springfield Armory section, Deb from SA's Custom Shop has been quite helpful. I can't vouch for other manufacturers, but they would likely lurk in their brand-specific sections.

·
Banned
597 Posts
There are factory representatives that I know of in the Dan Wesson and Rock River Arms forums that post on occasion.

·
Administrator
75,210 Posts
Mark Roberts at Colt chimes in on a regular basis, and is responsible for a fair amount of the QC turnaround thanks to listening to consumer issues mentioned on this forum.

So yes, they do read this forum.

·
Premium Member
20,434 Posts
The design team for the new SIG 1911 spent alot of time in our forum (and probably still do), researching the popularity of different options. They told me this group of ours influenced many of their decisions.

·
Registered
267 Posts
We'll never know what really happened, but when Springfield first released information on their WWII mil-spec, it had a blocky frame, black grips, loaded chamber indicator and polished barrel.

There was discussion on this forum and general agreement that most of those interested in this model preferred the way it is being sent out today, and all those things are gone or changed.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I work for a major manufacturer in a similar business and I can tell you that while manufacturers DO look at forums like these, they also recognize that they are frequented by an overwhelming percentage of "serious enthusiasts" but are a poor cross section of the overall market.

They are definitely an interesting data point but not a realistic "big picture" view. In order to make good business decisions one must understand more than just a narrow section of any market. I think those of us who care about our 1911's enough to spend time here represent a narrow cross section indeed.

As an example, I would wager that if you were to walk onto any outdoor range in most any part of the nation and poll 100 people on a popular subject here... let's say... MIM parts... only a very few would know or care much about the issue.

If you restricted your poll only to 1911 users, a higher percentage of them would know or care, but I would suggest that the number would still be vanishingly small compared to the overall group of 1911 users.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts