1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the world of 1911s and new the 1911Forum.com. I have always liked 1911s, but it was lower on my list-of-guns-to-buy. The 1911 moved to the top of the list on September 11th. I discovered this board while doing some research for my purchase. I settled on a slightly used Parkerized 2001 SA Champion about 2 months ago.

I love the gun, but was very frustrated by recurring ftf’s using “remanufactured” lead round nose ammo. (My gun club requires non-jacketed ammo only.) The slide would often stop 1/8” to ¼” from going into battery. I started thinking of changing 101 things and was questioning my purchase; but the advice on this board, plus that of some experienced 1911 fans with whom I shoot, proved invaluable.

A friend suggested I gently pry the magazine lips apart slightly to promote better feeding. Many posts on this board suggested trying different brands of ammo and allowing sufficient break-in time.

A combination of all three things solved the problem. I lucked into a brand of remanufactured ammo that my pistol seems to digest well (Carroll Small Arms), in addition to trying some new FMJ ammo at a different range to diagnose the problem. I’m very glad that I could benefit from the good advice on the board and hope that a few others will benefit from my experience.

I hope the ftf problem is gone for good. I may still buy a couple of Wilson or McCormick magazines, but it’s good to know that everything is working well and the problem appears to be solved.

I have found so much useful information in many areas of the forum, but it seemed best to me to post this here, since there have been a few Champion owners in particular with similar problems.

Thanks again to everyone who freely shared their knowledge and experience. Good shooting!

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Welcome to the forum SAChamp. Glad you got your problems straightened out. Newer guns, lead ammo, and factory magazines have caused problems for many 45 shooters. Wilson or McCormick magazines would still be a good investment.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Welcome to the forum sir and thank you for those nice words. I'm glad to hear that your SA is up and running.

------------------
No man is above the law and no man is below it. Nor do we ask any mans permission when we require him to obey it.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the welcome. Sorry it has taken me a while to respond. I look forward to much more good and useful info!

I was traveling this week and the modem in my laptop had a meltdown. I was without internet access for a few days and suddenly realized how much I looked forward to checking the forum each evening!

[This message has been edited by SAChamp (edited 11-21-2001).]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts