1911Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mark,

I'm really happy overall with the quality of my Colts. My first love is the SAA amd New Frontier revolvers. This spring I picked up my first nickel SAA, and found it to be one of my best shooters to date. Fit and finish is superb, and it is sighted in to hit POA, unlike most of the earlier 3rd generations. After shooting about 200 rounds through it, I noticed after cleaning the cylinder that the nickel is flaking off the face of the cylinder, and the butt of the barrel. Nothing else is showing signs of flaking. Some knowledgeable shooters that love nickel guns tell me that this is not normal, and that the newer nickel jobs hold up real well. I know this is a very hostile environment, but is this flaking normal or not? Is a re-nickel job covered by warranty?

I'm editing this post to say that it was purchased NIB from a dealer.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I have a 3rd gen SAA in nickle that started to peel after 10rds:( The bbl also came loose. I had it sent back to Colt from my local dealer that I bought it from and had it back it around 3 weeks, no charge. I now have over 500rds through it with no problems. I just wish mine shot POA like yours does out of the box. I sent mine to Tom Sargis for a trigger job and sight in. It is one of my favorite shooters.:)

·
Registered
634 Posts
Unfortunately, that is the reason why we stopped doing nickle jobs in house, that and EPA regs. We now send them out to a top house for nickle. I would call customer service and tell them of your problem, they will take care of you. 1-800-962-COLT

1 - 4 of 4 Posts