1911Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand the difference between the Series '70s and '80s but what does "Mark IV"
headline on Series '80s mean?
Are there "Mark I, II and III"? Is 1991 Series a "Mark VI"???

Sorry to be fussy about minor details.

·
Administrator
73,375 Posts
I think you got us. The Series 70 and Series 80 BOTH began with "Mark IV", so whatever the moniker meant it applied to both designs even though the S80 was the first totally new change to the 1911 design since the 'A1 came along in 1924.

Maybe it's kinda like a "Mitsubishi 3000GTS", it sounds catchy. I've always wondered where the Mitsubishi 1000, 2000, or even 2999 went.

BTW I'm sure you've all heard this before, but remember in the early 80's when Chevrolet tried to promote the Nova in Latin America, they wondered why sales were extremely low until someone bothered to get out a Spanish dictionary and realize that Nova meant "it won't go".

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

·
Registered
685 Posts
Originally posted by Byron:
I understand the difference between the Series '70s and '80s but what does "Mark IV"
headline on Series '80s mean?
Are there "Mark I, II and III"? Is 1991 Series a "Mark VI"???

Sorry to be fussy about minor details.

Funny story behind that, actually. A long time Colt employee on the 1911-A1 line was to be honored, but no one could think of a really proper way to do so. After a bit of head scratching, someone suggested the incorporate his name into the pistol's roll marks. All agreed and it was made so.

That employee's name? Mark Ivey.

------------------
Steve "El Roto" G.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I thought they was a "mark II" double eagle though...
but, my memory is not what it ever was.

·
Administrator
10,875 Posts
While we do not routinely lock old threads, it is generally viewed as poor form to resurrect them, unless there has been some further development.
I notice, scuuup, that of your last 10 posts, 6 have been in threads that had been long dormant, and in 5 of those 6, it was your post that brought the thread back to the top.
I would ask all our members to not resurrect any posts that have been quiet for months without good reason.

·
Administrator
73,375 Posts
scuup, you were told already by me to not go resurrecting old posts. Consider this a warning.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.