1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mark1648, recently I purchased a Kimber Stainless Target II in 9mm. It has turned out to be a fine pistol and I'm happy with it, BUT I would have preferred to have bought a Colt in 9mm (and finding a reasonably priced used one in very good condition has proved difficult and frustrating). I realize that Colt does make 1911's in .38 super and while that is a fine cartridge it's less readily available and more expensive than 9mm.
Don't get me wrong, I enjoy shooting .45 acp as much as the next guy, but it's also fun and alot more economical to shoot 9mm on a regular basis. For some of us reloading is just not an alternative, due to time or space constraints (apartment dweller).
A couple of reasons I think a 9mm 1911 would be a successful addition to the Colt line:
1) Many shooters find that shooting 9mm costs half as much as shooting .45 acp. (example Winchester 9mm value pack $11/100 rds., Winchester .45 acp value pack $21/100 rds.) while I enjoy shooting .45 acp, I don't enjoy it TWICE as much.
2) I believe that more women would find a 1911 in 9mm more appealing than the heavier recoil of the .45 acp. (guys wouldn't you like to have your wives and girlfriends be more enthusiastic about your love of 1911's)
3) Colt's competitors ARE making 1911's in 9mm. Currently S.A., Kimber, STI, and I believe Dan Wesson are offering 1911's in 9mm. (I've heard that Wilson will soon be offering a 9mm as well) And as I stated earlier I WOULD have bought a Colt had one been available.
Just my 2 cents Mark. I believe that I speak for everyone when I say we appreciate your contributions to this forum.
So how 'bout it, any chance of a 9mm 1911 in Colt's near future?

Nero
(a Colt fan)

·
Registered
192 Posts
Mark,

I would trade off my G17 Tupperware in a heartbeat if Colt
would start making a 1991 in a 9mm.

It could be a Government or Commander length in
stainless or blued, it doesn't matter to me.

All I ask is just make them please.

·
Registered
683 Posts
blue jacket said:
I wouldn't trade my tupperware, but there would be something new in the safe. Mark, Commander sized please.

I'll second the vote for a Commander in 9mm:cool:

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I have a 1951 vintage 9mm Commander that is the favorite of women when I teach NRA Basic Pistol and Personal Protection courses. Also have a Combat Commander in .38 Super with BarSto barrels in Super and 9mm. A great shooter.

It is too bad Colt is so behind the curve...if they had brought out the 9x23 in the mid 80's instead of the mid 90's they would have had the IPSC market to themselves....

Bob

·
Registered
200 Posts
I agree, a 9mm Commander or even a Gov't 9mm model would be a very desireable addition to the 1911 lineup. But please Mark, tell the powers-to-be to eliminate or forget about the front slide serrations. Why not just add the 9mm chambering to the present 1991 NRM models?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Lightweight frame, single-stack 9mm, Commander... Yeah, I'd get one.

License the bobtail from Brown, or put it on an Officer's frame, to make the perfect light 1911 CCW and I'll bring you cash tomorrow...

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
For those of you who want a 9mm GM, just buy a Super and drop a 9mm barrel in. Add a 9mm magazine and you are in business. You would then have a 3 caliber pistol as 9x23, with the addition of a heavier recoil spring, can be fired from the Super barrel. SARCO also makes their Roto Froged barrels in 9mm, Super and .45 in 5, 6 and 7" lengths. I have one of the 7" Super barrels and it has the smoothest exterior and interior of any barrel I have ever had. It also shoots the 9x23 round like it was made for it....Bob

·
Registered
315 Posts
Neither of my new colt 38supers will chamber a 9x23.. Colt is making the 38super chambers nice and tight and the 9x23 case gets just a bit bigger than the 38super and the end....

·
Banned
1,324 Posts
yep, one just like this with a LW frame or a Defender would be way cool! :cool:

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
...I have....10 Colts and a Kimber. Barrels from Colt, Kimber, SARCO, BarSto and Briley. One of the four BarSto barrels and the Briley will not chamber the 9x23. The rest feed the 9x23 real slick as does the MechTech Carbine Conversion. The other Super barrel that will not chamber the 9x23 is a Thompson Center 10" Octogon. The Briley is so tight it doesn't like some of the Super reloads that feed just fine in all my other barrels.

Bob

·
Registered
668 Posts
I found one.

About a year ago I found a series 70 Colt 9mm 1911 in beautiful condition at a gun show. I didn't buy it because the guy wanted $700 and wouldn't budge.

Later I began to think about all of the 9 mm advantages (I have about a half dozen .45 s that I love but reloading is getting to be a drag for as much as I want to shoot). Anyway, I began looking seriously for a 9 mm. Wonder of wonders, at a 4-5 month later gun show at the same place the guy was back with the 9 mm. Well anyway the price was now $725 but I bought it.

The gun appeared near new and almost unfired, not even any scratches on the magazine from use. I experienced a lot of extraction failures until I properly tensioned the extractor (I learned a lot). I also had some difficulty with a spare Colt magazine until I squeezed it a little at the top (It held the rounds loosely sideways producing some double feeds.). It has now worked flawlessly for about 1500 rounds without even being cleaned. Great gun.

I had to send it off for low mount Bomar sights, I couldn't stand the tiny series 70 sights.

I've got around $1000 in this thing, but I love it. I recommend that you watch for one and don't hesitate if you find one. I'm glad to spend your money for you (I spend too much of my own.).

·
Registered
634 Posts
Yes guy's there is a chance for a government model, a commander and a lightweight commander. I have been waiting to get some one on one time with the General to make the pitch. I will keep you posted.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Mark...a few years ago Colt marketed a Super with a extra barrel and magazine for 9x23. Since the Super is gaining in popularity and the 9mm is so cheap to buy why not a Commander and or GM with a two barrel and magazine set? What's it cost for Colt to throw an extra magazine and barrel into a gun.... I have both a Commander and Combat Commander set up that way and have had no extraction problems. One is a 9mm Commander with an extra Colt Super barrel. The other is a Combat Commander in Super with BarSto barrels in Super and 9mm. The CC is also fitted with a Pachmayr .22 Conversion Unit.

Just a thought....Bob

ps...come to think of it there is also a Super Elite in the safe with the original Colt barrel, 7" SARCO barrel, 5" SARCO 9mm barrel and a Colt 9x23 barrel....and a Colt .22 Conversion Unit.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you Mark. If Colt makes them I promise to buy a Government model and a Combat Commander!

Nero

1 - 20 of 77 Posts