1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I pciked up a used Marlin stainless .44 Mag lever action carbine in pristine condition a few months ago, at a price that really had me wondering if there was something wrong with the gun. I finally took it to the range today.

All I can say is wow! I have not had as much fun shooting in a long time. Throwing those big slow chunks of lead with negligible recoil was a blast, totally different experience than my .30-06.

I have never owned a center fire rifle before without a scope on it and consider myself an average shot at best, so I had no confidence in my shooting with the open sights. The last time I shot open sights was as a teenager. So I was kinda hoping for a deserted range. However, there were three others there. I set up at 50 yards with my 61 year old, vitrious-separated eyes.

The first three rounds, .44 Special 200 gr. Speer Gold Dot, shot into 1-3/8".

Switching to cheaper ammo, 200 gr. .44 Special Blazers, resulted in another exactly 1-3/8" group.

Going to some Magtech .44 mag ammo resulted in a
1-1/2" group.

Shooting left-handed out of curiosity, I opened up the next .44 mag group to 3-3/8", obviously operator problems, not the fault of the gun or ammo.

Not willing to let well enough alone, I aimed dead on the 10" hanging metal disc at 150 yards, no holdover, with another Magtech .44 Mag round, and was really surprised to hear it ding. I mean, the front bead covered over the entire gong. That one brought folks over to look at the gun. Apparently this thing will shoot into front bead coverage.

This may not sould like great shooting, but with my marginal skill level and old eyes I was elated. I would love to see what someone who knew what they were doing could do with this little jewel. If you have been contemplating acquiring one of these little Marlins, my advice is to go do it.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I recently retired my .44 Marlin, and hope to pick up another in .45Colt.

That rifle sure made me look good...

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have read reports that .44 Special does not always feed well in .44 mag lever rifles. It presented zero problems in the Marlin. The Marlin's capacity is listed at ten rounds, but the magazine holds and feeds 11 .44 Special rounds, although I see no need to store it compressed to the max like that.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm another fan of the 44Mag in a carbine. I've had a Ruger 96 for about 10 years now, and the 44Mag really realizes its potential with slower powders in the 18.5" barrel. Mine has been quite accurate with certain handloads. It shoots cloverleafs with 240gr. Hornady XTP's at 50, and groups around 1.25" at 100 yds. If only someone made a decent aftermarket stock for this gun. That dated M-1 carbine style stock is a bit short for me and is butt ugly.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I have one over 30 years old. Years ago I put a Williams Foolproof receiver sight on it as eyes getting older. Works great, 4 years ago I put a fiber optic front sight on, now it is even better for old eyes. Nice gun to carry when hunting jackpine thickets for the wiley whitetail. One of my favorite rifles.

·
Banned
380 Posts
I'm with you on that. Nothing like a fiber optic front sight and a good peep sight to make those carbine lever actions awesome brush guns. Mines not Marlin, but it was as night and day when I threw away the factory sights and added the fiber optic and a peep rear.

·
Registered
664 Posts
That's a great buy, WobbleZone! Great to hear that you had fun at the range with your new gun. I once had a .44Mag Winchester 94, and I regret selling it. I sold it mostly because I thought the ammo was too expensive and I used the funds to buy a .357 lever action (a Puma 92 - copy of Winchester 92) which I enjoy immensely. I may yet pick up a .45LC combo - SAA revo and lever gun.

What model is the marlin? What barrel length? My Win94AE only had a 16" barrel, and it kicked pretty hard, as I remember. It wasn't altogether pleasant to shoot, compared to my .357, which kicks only slightly harder than my .22.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts