1911Forum banner

Marlin 45 mags

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Intel6 
#1 ·
I find the factory Marlin-stamped mag for teh Camp carbine 45 works well (it should). However, I tried some pachmayrs and Mec Gars in the magwell, and they would not even fit! Strange for a 45ACP-based rifle. In fact, I am uncertain whether it is the mag body width or the follower, or size of mag catch slot. Does anyone have suggestions for reasonably inexpensive sources of Mags for the camp Carbine 45?

#2 ·
Makes no sense why the MecGars don't work... Mine do.

I have found any quality 1911 mag will work in my Camp... Although I prefer Wilson's. I have been using the Factory Kimber mag that came with my CST, since the removeable base mag that came with the Kimber won't work with the magwell I put on.

For "inexpensive" mags, try the Shooting Stars, they're pretty reasonable. You coudl also get something from CDNN that should work.

#5 ·
I also have a Mec-Gar 8, and a 10 round, that won't work in any of three pistols, but work in the Marlin.

All my other brands work (Wilson, Ed Brown, Metalform, Colt, Kimber, GI, and the Marlin.)

The cheapest is from Sportsmans Guide. It's a no-name $7 GI clone, and it works great in all my pistols, and the Marlin. But, since I had some laying around, I replaced the follower with a Pachmayer. This is a Best Buy!

What you describe is what is sometimes called "tolerance stacking" I think. If a mag is a bit out of spec, and the trigger bow is a bit out of spec the opposite way, it's a press fit! (Not a good thing.)

#6 ·
Gunz

Had the same problem with a Camp Carbine. Marlin and a couple other brands would work but Wilson and others wouldn't. They would stop about 1/4" before lockup.

Traced the problem to the shape of the notch at the top rear of the mag. Depending on the shape and how sharp the edge was, it would "bite" into the metal of the magazine disconnect lever. If you look into the mag well you can see a small lever protruding from the back side.

Don't remember all the details but I solved it by rounding the edges of the mags and the mag disconnect. Reassembly of the Camp Carbine receiver is a royal pain BTW.

Compare the shape of the notch on the mags that work vs the ones that don't.

Good luck

#7 ·
I hear you JSP. I had to totally take the lower apart and it was a big PITA. While I had it apart I was able to look and see how the mag disconnect worked. When I realized I could remove the disconnect parts I took them out before reassembly. I never liked that mag disconnect and see no need for it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.