1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife just bought me a Marlin M45 camp carbine in .45 ACP for our anniversary! She is a good woman! What can you tell me about it? I have not shot it yet, that comes tomorrow night when our range is open...

Are they hardball rifles only? Will 200gr. SWC feed through them? Do they need full charge loads, or will target loads cycle the action? I ask these questions because I just loaded 1000 rounds of target loads for our indoor range, and use in my 1911's.

Any advise you can give on the care & feeding as well as what to expect from this rifle will be appreciated!

Thanks
Byrd

·
Registered
11 Posts
RE: Camp Carbine rifles

You should use caution with under powered loads in these rifles.
The extra barrel length needs to be considered when selecting a charge for reloads.
I shoot a 9mm camp carbine rifle and have found that minimum load data for pistol ammo is not sufficient for rifle use. I usually try to start slightly above and work from there.

As long as your reloads aren't real wimpy loads they should work ok. If not, just use them for your pistols.

Curious as to where your wife found the camp rifle in .45? I've been looking for one myself for a while.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply-I hadn't thought about target loads in a longer bbl. I'm using 4.5 gr of Winchester WST & 200 gr lead SWC, so it is not really light, I guess I will try it out and see if it functions.

She bought it at Cabelas in Kansas City for $300.00 and it looks as if it had never been fired or handled. If I have ever seen a 100% used gun this is one. I think she did good!

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I bought one used, and it won't feed anything reliably.

Target rounds don't work the most.

Stout FMJ seems to work the best, from 7 round mags.

Anything else won't feed worth a darn.

Neat idea, but hasn't panned out for me.

·
Registered
953 Posts
A quick question - does it feed off of 1911 mags or are the mags proprietary?

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It feeds from 1911 mage-the one that came with it looks like a Metalform with the rounded follower, and the base plate it stamped Marlin. As a side note, I looked at the parts list in Brownells and they list factory mags for it at $71.00 each! I sure hope it works with standard mags!

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
I had one of the early ones in 9mm, and it fed hardball or hp's both w/out any problem. Fun little guns.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Mine has never jammed with FMJ but it has done nothing but jam with JHP. I like mine and I doubt I'll ever part with it, but it is definitely a toy to me. I wouldn't reach for mine for anything serious. By the way Ashley makes a set of ghost rings sights for it. I am trying to rig up a leather buttstock double mag pouch for mine. I am thinking about buying a nice tan leather double mag pouch with snap flaps designed for belt carry and taking it to a leather smith and having him modify it to a lace on the stock system. I bought mine brand new after they were discontinued and paid around $300. I was pleased with my find.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Maybe Wilson 47Ds will help. Good luck, if yours works it should be a fun gun.

·
Registered
11,105 Posts
Man I am jealous of a guy with his own indoor range.

:rock:

Definetly putting that on my list of things to have when Im older and wealthier.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Camp 45

It was always a dream of mine to have one of these converted to class 3 with an integral suppressor. Quite the set-up.

Congrats on a good fun rifle.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
my M45 Marlin camp carbine

pleased to report,I recently purchased a Marlin 45 camp carbine I found on Gunsamerica.I had bid on one at Gunbroker,but it got way too expensive..so, I made a deal on the cheapest one I saw.the owner said it was like new,the only flaw(lowering the value) being the presence of a flash hider.it arrived as stated-like new in the original box.very pretty,my first impression was the similarity in its form & caliber to a Reising SMG I once saw.I did not mind the bird cage flash hider-it was specifically made for the rifle.I decided to take the mint stock off,& put it & original mag away for safe keeping, in the original box..I am using it with the Choate folding stock & 4, 15 round no name mags from Sportsmans guide.I'm very happy with it,a very neat & compact package.it is accurate enough up to 100 yards,& a delight to shoot.I like the dayglow hooded front sight..it feeds perfectly,even with cheapest 230 gr. fmj ammo.so far it is an extremely enjoyable investment,that I would reccomend to others.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts