1911Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had experience with the new Marlin (1897) Cowboy lever action rifle in 45-70, or read any technical write-up on it? I have the hots to get one of these, (1) because it is so cool looking with it's 26" octagon barrel and full magazine, and (2) it's a 45-70 Gov't. I searched throught the magazine stand last night and couldn't find an article in any of the gun rags on this beauty. I notice a number of them for sale in Gunsamerica, but would like some "first-hand" information before I let loose with $500. Thanks, Stan

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
1895 Cowboy ...

What your looking for is a Model 1895 Cowboy, the 1897 is a .22 caliber rifle. A good friend has the 1895 Cowboy and he loves it but, the thinly tapered octagon barrel can really heat-up with long strings.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dan, Thanks for the reply, and I realized my mistake after I had posted.

I'd like to converse with your friend to see what he's shooting in his Cowboy, and the accuracy he gets, etc. I came across a couple hundred rounds of once fired brass, and some Remington and WW factory loads (yeah, I know, "Wrong reason for buying a rifle") but I've had a 45-70 before, I've got dies and loads, and loved shooting it. I'd like to try some cast bullets. And, I think that Marlin Cowboy is so cool looking with the 26" barrel and full magazine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts