1911Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a friend visiting next week that has a recent wrist injury that prevents him from shooting worthwhile calibers. He want's to put his Marvel .22 conversion thing in my guns to try them out. I know NOTHING about these things and am hoping someone here can enlighten me as to any danger this poses to the gun itself... be it scratches or otherwise?

thanks-
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,375 Posts
I put a Kimber 22 Conversion on my EB Blued Executive with no problems.
Steel gun. Can't hurt it.

As for scratches, I don't think my conversion kit makes any. It is not
something that I worry about. But I am a shooter not a collector.

Regards,
Greyson
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,232 Posts
slide is aluminum..barrel is steel..slide should slip on..the unit will lock up on the slidestop, which the Marvel comes with..as it is a two piece. The guide rod screws down, with supplied wrench on the slidestop for tight lock up..

only place it might be tight..would be the clearance of the ejector..but this would only be in rare instances..

the unit is very accurate, easy to install..and FUN:rock:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
207 Posts
I wouldn't put a 22 conversion on an EB, just for the fact that it's a hard fit gun and it wasn't cheap. Put it on a colt, a springfield, a s&w anything except a EB.

All the conversion on your gun is going to do is allow him to fell the difference in trigger pull and maybe the fine craftsmanship of the reciever that's it, all the acuracy is with the conversion kit itself.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,375 Posts
KC&97TA said:
I wouldn't put a 22 conversion on an EB, just for the fact that it's a hard fit gun and it wasn't cheap. Put it on a colt, a springfield, a s&w anything except a EB.

.
Hard-fit is a reference to how a bushing is put on a 1911. A conversion
kit will not effect this in any way since the kit is in essence an "upper".
The logic behind using the kit on a "quality" pistol is sound. One can
train cheaply and still have the same controls and trigger pull of their
carry or competition pistol. I do this on a regular basis w/ an EE.

An EB is a very well made combat pistol not a fragile hanger queen.

Regards,
Greyson
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,232 Posts
I wouldn't have any problems putting a marvel upper on a EB gun..the slide is aluminum..so softer than the steel rails of the EB frame..one could fit another slidestop..as that is what the marvel uses to lock up on..

Personally I always like dedicated frames to top ends..as I am just too lazy to be switching things all the time..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,686 Posts
I generally run my Marvel on a Rock River Arms Limited Match frame.

Goes on in 60 seconds. The slide stop goes in sort of different. It shouldn't cause any scratches from putting on the Marvel. You might get them from switching back, just like any time you take out the slide stop.

There is a possibility the Brown slide-stop pin hole might be undersized, that's the only thing I would mention. My Les Baer pin hole was too small, the Marvel slide stop pin wouldn't go in. Instead of sanding down the pin, I just run it on a Rock River instead.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
Just say No.

Don't do it if your EB is stainless. The Marvel is a great product but the aluminum slide can leave scratches on the frame rails. This is not speculation. If its blue the steel is harder so you may be okay, but that is speculation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
dont worry about it, guns are tough. the only gun i wouldnt use that kit on is probably that gold-plated STI wide body...but then again i probably wouldnt even shoot it.




:mummy: :) :rock: :cool: :biglaugh: :scratch: :p :barf:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
537 Posts
I totally agree. I think its rather silly to suggest it might be harmful to a steel frame. A stainless frame is still much much harder than an aluminum slide.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,375 Posts
gpo1956 said:
I totally agree. I think its rather silly to suggest it might be harmful to a steel frame. A stainless frame is still much much harder than an aluminum slide.
+1 on this. Silly.

Greyson
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
Silly???

I'm not sure which post you find silly but it is a fact that the aluminum slide can scratch the stainless steel rails. Is that to be considered harmful? I think it is something for the owner to decide.
gpo1956 said:
I totally agree. I think its rather silly to suggest it might be harmful to a steel frame. A stainless frame is still much much harder than an aluminum slide.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,375 Posts
Boxman said:
I'm not sure which post you find silly but it is a fact that the aluminum slide can scratch the stainless steel rails. Is that to be considered harmful? I think it is something for the owner to decide.
The use of the regular slide will "scratch" the rails. It will even "scratch"
the slide. This is called wear.

Ok. Now this could get outta control really fast so I will nip this in the budd
right now. Everybody knows this but I will verbalize it to cancel out the
argument. We REALLY aren't talking about scratches. What we really
are talking about is philosophy of gun use. There are different degrees on this
scale. To one extreme is white gloves, behind glass never been touched
or fired -- i.e. A Proof Penny. On the other extreme is someone who buys
an EB pistol and runs out in the rainstorm and mudd blazing away.
Most people are in the middle somewhere.

Those that say use a .22 kit on an EB lean more toward the "user" side
of the spectrum. Those against are more on the "collector" side of the
spectrum.

To each his own. And neither opinion hurts an EB. :rolleyes:

Regards,
Greyson
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
While I agree with your assessment that our ranks range from the "collector" to the "its just a tool" mindset, and like you, I'm somewhere in the middle, nevertheless I must disagree with your most recent assessment.

Wear is what happens as a result of use. Sure put a couple of thousand rounds through the EB and it will show normal wear. Using the marvel slide and a hundred rounds can cut noticible scratches that look like minitaure grooves down the center of the frame rail out near the end. That is not wear it is damage. I'm not saying that it affects function or accuracy or value or even the looks of the piece when assembled. It does not. I'm not saying that every marvel unit would have the same effect. I'm not even saying that it is a big deal. It is minor but most certainly noticable.

But the original question in this thread was: "can [someone] enlighten me as to any danger this poses to the gun itself... be it scratches or otherwise?" The short answer to this question is yes. I've seen it happen on stainless steel. I don't have time to take and post pictures but to say that the aluminum slide can not mar the stainless steel is simply not true.

Best regards,

B

Greyson said:
The use of the regular slide will "scratch" the rails. It will even "scratch"
the slide. This is called wear.

Ok. Now this could get outta control really fast so I will nip this in the budd
right now. Everybody knows this but I will verbalize it to cancel out the
argument. We REALLY aren't talking about scratches. What we really
are talking about is philosophy of gun use. There are different degrees on this
scale. To one extreme is white gloves, behind glass never been touched
or fired -- i.e. A Proof Penny. On the other extreme is someone who buys
an EB pistol and runs out in the rainstorm and mudd blazing away.
Most people are in the middle somewhere.

Those that say use a .22 kit on an EB lean more toward the "user" side
of the spectrum. Those against are more on the "collector" side of the
spectrum.

To each his own. And neither opinion hurts an EB. :rolleyes:

Regards,
Greyson
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,375 Posts
Boxman said:
While I agree with your assessment that our ranks range from the "collector" to the "its just a tool" mindset, and like you, I'm somewhere in the middle, nevertheless I must disagree with your most recent assessment.

Wear is what happens as a result of use. Sure put a couple of thousand rounds through the EB and it will show normal wear. Using the marvel slide and a hundred rounds can cut noticible scratches that look like minitaure grooves down the center of the frame rail out near the end. That is not wear it is damage. I'm not saying that it affects function or accuracy or value or even the looks of the piece when assembled. It does not. I'm not saying that every marvel unit would have the same effect. I'm not even saying that it is a big deal. It is minor but most certainly noticable.

But the original question in this thread was: "can [someone] enlighten me as to any danger this poses to the gun itself... be it scratches or otherwise?" The short answer to this question is yes. I've seen it happen on stainless steel. I don't have time to take and post pictures but to say that the aluminum slide can not mar the stainless steel is simply not true.

Best regards,

B

Boxman,

Your argument is well received. Perhaps there is something about the Marvel
Kit that is harder on a gun compared to the Ciener kits?

Regards,
Greyson
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,317 Posts
Anodizing is incredibly hard

Aluminum may be softer than steel, but the Marvel slide is anodized. Aluminim oxide is used as an abrasive to cut steel....

Hardness is not the only metric - surface finish may be more important.

That said, I shoot my Marvel unit I on my SA frame without worries. It should be OK to use on your EB as long as the Marvel slide rails are smooth without any "tooth".
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top