1911Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Marvel “Unit 2” .22 Conversion Field Report

I wanted a .22 conversion kit for my 1911. I looked into the various makers and was impressed by Marvel’s reputation (for their Unit 1) for quality and accuracy. However, it is about $100 dollars more than everyone else’s unit, and for $100 you can buy a lot of .22 cartridges! So, I was really pleased when I heard that they had a “Unit 2” that was about the same price as Ciener, etc.

The Unit 2 doesn’t come with the accuracy guarantee of the Unit 1. It’s advertised as being for use as a plinker, or a conversion for doing IDPA-type drills with. It doesn’t come with the barrel extended for a compensator like the Unit 1 either, so it will fit in a holster just like a regular Government Model.

Plinking and drills? Perfect! I didn’t want it for bulls-eye anyway, just for fun and for teaching others to shoot (.22 being a good starter caliber). It can be ordered with a special narrow front sight for $16 more, but I didn’t get that (although I kind of wish I had now). It comes with an adjustable low-mounted rear sight.

Marvel says that it uses the same barrel and lockup system as their super-accurate Unit 1, and is capable of 1/2 to 1 inch groups at 25 yards freehand. Good enough for me, I decided. So I ordered the Unit 2 with an extra magazine (comes with one, I wanted two). It also comes with a nice little soft case.

When it came, I cleaned it (although it seemed really clean already--amazing), and installed it onto my Kimber. It really is quick and easy to install and it fit perfectly. You would think it was made by Kimber, not a conversion kit. You do need to use the Marvel-supplied slide stop and the little lock-down wrench they include. The magazines looked well made.

When I finally got a chance to go to the range, I bought 100 rounds of CCI Mini-Mags. Marvel states quite clearly that one should use High Velocity .22 lr. I loaded up the magazines, which were really easy to load, much easier that most .22 magazines I have used. Marvel sells an aluminum magazine loader, which I ordered. It’s nice, but you don’t really need it in my opinion.

I noticed that the magazines suffered a little from “stiction” (friction that makes the follower stick) but I forged ahead.

I started out shooting at 10 yards freehand. I was able to make 2” groups with ease, so I moved out to 25 yards, where I was easily able to shoot 4-5 inch groups freehanded. However, I had multiple failures-to-feed (FTFs). I suspected it was the magazines, so after about 40 rounds or so, I squirted a little BreakFree into them both and worked them up down and wiped (and wiped, and wiped) them off. After that, everything was perfect, no more FTFs again.

Wanting to see what kind of accuracy the unit was capable of, I then shot 10 yards while using a sandbag rest. I was able to shoot 3/4 inch groups that way. At 25 yards with the rest, I got one 1 inch group, although most were about 2-3 inches. I am sure the unit is capable of better with the thin front sight or with a scope. At 25 yards the front sight covered the entire bulls-eye on the target. Also, the high velocity ammo is probably not as accurate as the match grade ammo used to get the 1/2 inch at 50 yard results advertised by Marvel for their Unit 1.

After I was done shooting for experimentation and accuracy, I started shooting for fun! I put up multiple targets at 10 yards and began shooting at them in sequence as fast as I could. You can really shoot a full-size, steel 1911 with .22s in it, fast! I felt like an assassin in a movie…spit, spit, spit, spit. It was a hoot. I bought another box of 100 rounds and just blasted away as fast as I could, then would reload my two mags and do it again. Never a single FTF or FTE, or any other problem at all.

I’m delighted with it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Thanks for the detailed report.

How long did it take for your Marvel to get to you? I'd heard there's quite a long lag time.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Took 3 weeks. Maybe there isn't that much lag time for the Unit 2 as there is for the Unit 1.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I have a Marvel Unit 1 and it is just great. Very accurate and reliable. Some may feel that since a dedicated .22 such as a Ruger or Browning Buckmark may be acquired for about the same money the conversion is not worth it, but I feel that it is really nice to shoot .22 on a familiar 1911 frame.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yes, they are. Unfortunately, I don't qualify. I guess I could say I'm buying it for my dad, but that would be fibbin'.

·
Registered
181 Posts
marvel

Just came from their web site,
http://www.marvelprecision.com/. There is NO requirement that you be a vet that I saw, just mention the sale. sale goes on till the 22nd. Really makes me want to buy one too.
Jack

·
Registered
181 Posts
Yep, looked again and there it was!!!!!1
Sorry, blind in one eye and can't see out the other!!!!
Well, I will give them a call tomorrow since the offer ends soon. I qualify and vets don't get too many good offers most times.
Jack

·
Registered
114 Posts
I find Marvel's website a little confusing when trying to tell the difference between their 'unit 1' and their 'unit 2'.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The biggest difference between the two is that Unit 1 is tuned to a guaranteed accuracy of 1" groups at 50 yards. It also has the barrel extending from the slide so that you can attach a compensator.

Unit 2 is made from the same components as Unit 1 and uses the same lock up method, but has benefited from the extra tuning. Unit 2 also doesn't have a barrel that extends from the slide.

·
Registered
172 Posts
sure.. it's not designed so much to eliminate recoil, altho it does have a slight effect on that.. the idea is to reduce turbulence around the bullet as it exits the barrel, increasing accuracy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts