1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check this out at conservativepetitions.com...

Dear Conservative Friend:

Dedicated to bringing down the Bush Presidency as promised, anti-American director Michael Moore is making a treasonous "documentary" to be released before next year's election. Your help is needed! Please go to ConservativePetitions.com to see what is at stake. Here's the
address:
http://www.conservativepetitions.com/petitions.php?id=248

Moore's "Fahrenheit 911," financed by Miramax, will be a political assassination piece that uses lies, exaggerations, twisted facts and unsubstantiated reports in an attempt to discredit President George W. Bush. It also will be a vile insult to the memories of the victims of 9/11, but that doesn't matter to Moore.

To vent his personal wrath and bring down the administration as promised, Moore actually is willing to endanger all of us by inflaming our enemies in a crazed attempt to plant seeds of doubt among Americans and our nation's allies. As if deceitfully trying to confuse undecided voters isn't bad enough, just think how this fraudulent film will play in Middle East theaters or anywhere around the globe where foreigners are suspicious of America's intentions in our war on terrorism. For your own safety, act now at:

Don't let this treason reach the silver screen! Sign a petition that demands Miramax stop its funding of Moore's extremely irresponsible film, and in doing so alert distributors and theater chains not to participate in this blatant anti-America effort.

Just as our troops are fighting enemies abroad, so must we fight against America's enemies at home. Here again is where to make your stand:

Jon Alvarez
Patriotic Americans Boycotting Anti-American Hollywood (PABAAH)

P.S. Treason is defined as betrayal of the United States of America by consciously and purposely acting to aid our nation's enemies during war.
Isn't that what Moore and, to a financial degree, Miramax are doing? We ARE at war, and this traitorous tactic must be stopped! And it will be -- if we get enough people to speak out. Let's create an outcry so loud that it cannot be ignored! Join the fight at:

Can't stand that "bowling For Columbine" anti-American, Marxist Ejet. He belongs in the "halls of flame" with Hanoi Jane, and the others. :dope:

Best,
George

·
Registered
983 Posts
I worked with a guy who was a pro-gun Democrat. Good-old boy from Montana. . . .

Anyhow, he was telling me how he learned in a Michael Moore book about Bush's relationship to <substitute name> from Enron, and the convoluted web of intrigue thereof, money changing hands, blah blah blah. . . .

Of course, on another occasion, I told him of some of the contents of Bowling for Columbine, clear lies/misdirections that were clear to us because we understood guns and gun ownership.

Point is, Michael Moore's writing is clever propoganda that is obviously outright lies to someone who understands the subject matter, yet seductive tidbits of information for the uninformed, or those who WANT to believe it, or WANTS to hate the target of his smear.

It was just funny that I had one person who simeltaneously got excited from one Michael Moore piece of fiction, and angered by another, even though both likely had the same amount of truth in them.

Be aware of this whenever reading anything written/pandering in this style, even (or especially) if it's from some conservative who's bashing an opponent.

·
Registered
427 Posts
People that want to hate will hate on the slightest flimsy evidence.

Moore just exploits and profits from that.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I wouldn't sign the petition, last thing anyone needs is to have to listen to some babble about how the "Extreme and Radical Right Wing" wants to suppress the First Amendment. If he wants to publish crap let him, don't make a big deal out of it, it's free advertising for him. Sheep are always going to follow the shepard, energy is better spent doing good than worrying about this grease stain.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Liberals Rock!!!

in the areas of first strike propaganda while the Conservs- usually progun- who can tell with finances anymore- tend to take the high road.

I am tired of always being on the receiving end on the blow with the party leadership suggesting that we turn the other cheek!

Moore is an effective tool. Signing a petition will not help. Take people shooting and educate them is one facet of the pro gun struggle, but the Conservs really need to come out swinging eventully. The former poster is right, reacting to this is free advertising, but some unified offense is warranted soon.

I do not think it will matter, we as a people are allready so polarized that Bush himself could lay me off and beat my (ex) wife and I would still vote for him over Dean.

Taking the high road represents class, always taking the high road represents weakness.

Dan :mad:

·
Registered
445 Posts
Battler said:
Of course, on another occasion, I told him of some of the contents of Bowling for Columbine, clear lies/misdirections that were clear to us because we understood guns and gun ownership.
My theory as to why some seemingly intelligent people cannot be swayed from swallowing in whole the kind of "documentaries" that MM produces, when confronted with irrefutable evidence to the contrary, can best be explained with the following quote.

"There is a principal which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." - Herbert Spencer

That is one of my favorite quotes and I believe explains to a large degree MM's acceptance by a large segment of otherwise seemingly right thinking individuals.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
pcf said:
I wouldn't sign the petition, last thing anyone needs is to have to listen to some babble about how the "Extreme and Radical Right Wing" wants to suppress the First Amendment. If he wants to publish crap let him, don't make a big deal out of it, it's free advertising for him. Sheep are always going to follow the shepard, energy is better spent doing good than worrying about this grease stain.
Couldn't have said it better.

·
Registered
232 Posts
OverHung,
If you want to make miramax think twice hurt there pocket book. Miramax is a subsidiary of the Disney-ABC conglomerate. Watch you're local ABC channel and make a list of there sponsors, and write (don't go any higher than the state/regional offices) and tell them you will not buy or support there products, because of Miramax's actions, be sure to mention that you support Miramax's right to do whatever they please. The problem with trying to boycott corporate Miramax/Disney is that they will ignore you and people usually end up supporting their subsidiaries anyways.

·
Registered
58 Posts
There have been some very good arguments; I too think a petition would lead to the opposite of what's to strive for, as stated above.

pcf makes some good points with writing to the sponsors.

There's this site to check out

http://www.michaelmoorehatesamerica.com

I suppose the more "documentaries" are produced by MM, covering different topics, the broader the public objection will grow; the gun topic is polarizing to the extreme, sometimes.

Better striking back by giving them antis some of their own medicine, but doing it better than they do.

Quickloader

·
Registered
442 Posts
Quickloader said:

Better striking back by giving them antis some of their own medicine, but doing it better than they do.

I whole heartedly agree.
Better then hating Michael Moore is to respect him as a worthy adversary, llearn from him, and beat him at his own game.
I think he had a great success with Bowling for Columbine: the movie is engaging entertainment and also probes specific gun issues, tearing into gun rights icons and sacred cows.
Irregardless of the veracity of the issues presented, the format of the movie itself lent an air of veracity to the content. If I told you that a portion of the interviews were staged with actors reading scripts that Michael Moore wrote (the security services salesman man early in the movie who cried while remembering Columbine, for example) you might feel somewhat gullible and incredulous, but you would get over it reflecting on the 'fiction' that movies render. Michael Moore never made any claims for representing reality truthfully as far as I can tell...it wasn't court testimony, it's a movie.
The average movie goer might register it, but their emotional impact and response to the movie would likely supercede any critical analysis of Moore's manipulation of the trope of 'documentary truth' .

I sense for most people that positions on 2nd ammendmant issues are dependent more on emotions than on reason. I'd just like to see the gun rights contingent let down their hair and get more creative in playing their hand.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Moore is a slug. A male Rosie. In fact, I wonder if he shaves...

·
Banned
2,929 Posts
As most of you know we, in Canada, have some of the dumbest gun laws out there, most of which home grown. some, such as the "10 round" limitation came from your Uncle Bill while others we borowed from Europe.

We, in Canada, don't have the 2nd amendment to protect us but my sense is you are losing your rights as slowly as we are. Maybe it is time we all sat back and asked what are we doing wrong and what can we do better.

I was hoping with the change in our Prime Minister there might be some hope that change would come but I look at your experience and wonder if my hopes are just that...hope!

George and the Republicans are in power. Yet I don't see him rescinding some of the executive orders slick Willy passed. Is there an unwritten rule that once in power politicians view past legislation as sacred?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
robertbank said:
George and the Republicans are in power. Yet I don't see him rescinding some of the executive orders slick Willy passed. Is there an unwritten rule that once in power politicians view past legislation as sacred?
Good Point, Robert.

George

·
Registered
96 Posts
Looking forward to it. I just hope Moore is doing something closer to the Roger and Me type of Movie, his Columbine was not a documentatry but closer to an opinioned satire.

GWB has been nothing but bad news to the economy and many in the military. If this helps get change I will see it then make assertions about Moore.

I personally think he is 1 for 2, one hit, one miss. Roger and Me is an excellent documentary, that should be viewed by more, before they make rash judgments about his work.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Surely you jest,

angus macfuff said:
GWB has been nothing but bad news to the economy and many in the military.
I am guessing, that CNN and the NY Times are your only source of news. Of course even those two outlets have stopped refering to the economy as, "the Bush economy" for obvious reasons.:cool:

·
Registered
900 Posts
Not a Bush fan here-some of the things he has done have been good, and some bad.

Not sure what Bush did bad with the economy as that was in a downward spin before he took office.

So far as damage to the military, he doesn't even compete with what Bill Clinton did, and is actually buying parts for the weapon systems and getting them back into some kind of shape.

Signing the campaign reform bill was stupid.
The steel tarriffs were stupid.
The homeland security monolith is stupid.
Not beefing up border security is dangerous.
Announcing that he would sign a new AW ban is stupid.

And the democrats cannot find a candidate who will beat him on these issues. They're stupid.

·
Registered
983 Posts
The stupid things Bush has done are generally things that the Dems would be even more stupid about (any money he can waste they say he didn't waste enough).

As for the economy, politicians gotta stop taking the credit for good economies, that gets them blamed for the bad. The bad stuff we're going through now (and sadly, the even worse stuff that may come) was "in the mail". Politicians can hurt economies; but the swings we see such as those between 1996 and now had very little to do with short-term changes in goverment policy.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts