1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a Stainless Ultra TLE with Crimson Trace grips. I have been wanting to trade the Ultra for a Pro, but don't know if I should go with the Master Carry, or stick with the TLE lg. I love my Ultra, but would like the longer barrel and sight radius. I like the bobtail on the Master Carry Pro, but aside from that, there doesn't seem to be much difference.

My other problem is financing. I've been told $500 is all I should expect for my Ultra TLE, but I know it's all a profit game. I paid $1400 brand new in 2010, and I think $1000 is a fair price for a private sale now. I have roughly 1500 rds through it, and the only physical blemish is the laser warning stickers being removed.

I guess the real question is for those who have made the switch already...If you had an ultra and went to a pro, would you do it again? Is the extra inch really worth all the headache I'm about to subject myself to?

·
Registered
334 Posts
The Master Carry will have an aluminum frame where as the TLE will have a steel frame. The Master Carry will weigh closer to your Ultra TLE, while the Pro TLE will be about 10 oz. heavier. I think that's the biggest difference you'd be looking at. Costwise, is it cheaper to put a laser grip on a Pro TLE, or buy the Master Carry, if the frame material isn't a factor?

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
My other problem is financing. I've been told $500 is all I should expect for my Ultra TLE, but I know it's all a profit game. I paid $1400 brand new in 2010, and I think $1000 is a fair price for a private sale now. I have roughly 1500 rds through it, and the only physical blemish is the laser warning stickers being removed.
A new Ultra TLE is a $950 pistol. In a private sale, you may get $650-$750 if it's in great shape with the box and all the stuff that came in the box. If I were you, I'd remove the crimson trace grips and try to sell those separately which I'm sure you can on Ebay or even here on this forum.

The Master Carry Pro like ccamp said will have an aluminum frame. It's a very nice pistol and it does not have the swartz safety. Has ambi safety if that matters to you and has the crimson trace as part of the package. There is no front strap treatment on the Master Carry. If that matters to you you might look at the Super Carry or the Super Carry HD line. You can always add the crimson trace later.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ended up coming across a Master for $1200 on gunbroker. Found one in a local shop to handle, and decided front strap checkering and fancy slide serrations didn't make that much of a difference to me. Now the hard part is waiting for it to get here.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I found a couple Master Carry Customs in stores around me here in Ohio. The best price anybody had was $1380+tax. Found a Master Carry Pro for $1195 on gunbroker from a shop that needed to clear display space. $30 for shipping, and another $20 for FFL fees. $1245 "out the door".

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I found a couple Master Carry Customs in stores around me here in Ohio. The best price anybody had was $1380+tax. Found a Master Carry Pro for $1195 on gunbroker from a shop that needed to clear display space. $30 for shipping, and another $20 for FFL fees. $1245 "out the door".
Ok Gotcha... enjoy the new pistol. Let us know how it shoots.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
New, or slightly used?

So I go to my FFL today to pick this thing up, and as one would imagine, I was pretty excited to finally get it. I open the box only to have my excitement turn to a feeling of deceit. Right out of the box I notice the finish is worn around the ejector port, and there were some other idiot marks toward the barrel end of the slide. These are minor things that were going to eventually happen anyway, and I get that. The problem I have is this thing was advertised as factory new. Called Kimber when I got home to get the ship date, and found out it was sent from the factory in May 2014. Am I just being paranoid, or does anyone else think this looks like a used pistol? I've posted several pictures of various places I think might prove that this is, in fact, not brand new.

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
Interesting. I have a master ultra. Great shooter. The finish is horrible though. It seems to be a hair better than spray paint. If my Master Ultra had a stainless slide I'd be super happy. But, nope. Finish is wimpyyyyyyyyy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I forgot to mention that the "paper clip" takedown tool was not in the box, nor were the instructions or adjustment wrenches for the Crimson Trace grips. Very little oil on the moving parts, and no factory grease. I'm becoming more and more certain I was lied to about the actual condition of this weapon...making it hard to believe this shop is a Kimber dealer.

·
Registered
125 Posts
NDZ makes a ~$15-20 take down tool for my kimber ultra. Works great. Looks like they have one for the 4" but its ~$60. I would contact the dealer about this purchase

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
After a couple somewhat lengthy phone calls to both Kimber, and the dealer, I have an answer. I attribute my concerns mostly to ignorance about the process involved in building, testing, and shipping.
It turned out to just be test fired by Kimber...more than usual. Somewhere around 50 rounds. They didn't have a reason as to why so many rounds were fired, but hopefully it wasn't a problem child off the line. They also don't clean them after they fire them, hence the carbon buildup and copper markings. Add the KimPro finish problems to the equation, and it looks used.
May 2014 was actually the production date, and shortly thereafter it was sent to one of their 3 distributors. From what I was told, it sat for about 6 months before actually being sent to the dealer. The dealer then had it on his shelf for a couple months and decided to list it on gunbroker to make room for something else. Somewhere along the line, the entire envelope containing the manual, takedown tool, and crimson trace info was left out of the box. Kimber CS is taking care of that and getting all the missing stuff to me sometime this week.

All that being said, the plan is to fire my first 100 rounds with her this afternoon. Hopefully this was just a rough start to an everlasting love story.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts