1911Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
With so many manufacturers making match or socalled match barrels, which are reasonable?
Does a "match" barrel really improve performance that much in the 5 inches a slug travels in a .45?
Additionally, a match bushing on a barrel should have how much clearance on the barrel? I mean, what factor determines a good fit of a bushing on the barrel?
Thanks,
Doug

·
Registered
157 Posts
I've got really accurate pistols with the following barrels: Bar-sto, Nowlin, Kart, Bar-sto, Wilson, Bar-sto, KKM and Bar-sto. (I started fitting barrels back when Bar-sto was all there was, and once I used them I never got rid of them.)

A match barrel is the single best thing you can do to improve accuracy. A properly-fit match barrel, even if slightly loose, will improve accuracy more than all other factors combined.

As for the bushing, it is more involved than simply amount of clearance on the barrel. It has to repeatably position the barrel on lockup, not bind during the slide cycle, control the barrel for good feeding, and be easy to take off for cleaning.

I used to think the bushing was the least of it, but now I'm starting to think we all underestimate the effect proper bushing fit has.

For best results, have someone who knows what he (or she) is doing fit your barrel. Drop-ins are good, but noting beats a professionally-fit barrel and bushing.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts