1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see on Gun Brokers Mr. Bill Adair has a 1914, 1911 with a serial # immediatly preciding mine. Both appear to be in the same condition and am thinking about bidding for it,however there is already 13 bids and really dont think I can play in their park. Do any of you own consecitive #'s, would a pair enhance their value any. It would be nice to own a pair almost 94 years old. I inherited mine from my Grandfather who carried it in chasing that mexican outlaw (cant right-off think of his name) and WW-1.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,285 Posts
I think the cool factor is pretty high, but I don't know that the two guns together are worth more than twice what each gun is worth alone, if that's your question. Once you had them both, you'd then have to have a custom case made for them, then you'd have to get a replica Last Man Standing shoulder holster rig, a squad cleaning kit, a half-dozen lanyard loop mags, a campaign hat . . .

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for responding,your thoughts are about like mine, no increase in value just another 1911. Not really interested in owning it other than the serial # factor, already own too many or more than enough firearms, its like finding a missing brother after a long seperation and very long odds of re-uniting . Strange feeling on my part. Thanks again.

·
Administrator
73,785 Posts
I once saw a Colt M1991A1 for sale with a serial number just like one of mine, except for one digit in the middle of the S/N being different. It sold before I even had a chance to e-mail the seller. I agree there's no additional value in a consecutive set, but it'd sure be neat to have.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Yeah, the cool factor would be worth alot to me. No one else,
maybe. I'd have to go for it. If you don't, how will you feel
about missing the opportunity in a few years ?

Joe

·
Registered
782 Posts
If it doesn't get TOO pricey, and you later decide it's not all that big a deal, you can always sell it. I have more regrets about things I passed up than things I bought.
Marty

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Broncoman said:
It would be nice to own a pair almost 94 years old. I inherited mine from my Grandfather who carried it in chasing that mexican outlaw (cant right-off think of his name) and WW-1.
Pancho Villa

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Me thinks it would be pretty cool getting them back together after all their years of travel and adventures. And I do think a collector would pay a premium for such a set; how much more, well, that I can't answer, but I believe they would require something extra...

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Poncho Villa is the one ! I agree with all who have posted 100%. Its probably going to be a bummer in the end. I'm not going to bid yet, it still has 4 days left but I'll watch it like a hawk and see what it does.If it stays reasonable I'll hold my nose and jump in with only 1 bid. If its meant to be it will come to me,if not I can live with it, knowing I tried. Thanks for all of your input.

·
Premium Member
20,402 Posts
If you can afford it, I'd do it just to hold a piece of history in both hands!

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Now I'm thinking,by placing this post I may have put my butt in a vice. The price may jump just because somebody knows I'm thinking about bidding. Am leary about online bidding having been slammed many times and thats why I'll only post 1 bid with a figure already in my head and if they want it more so be it.

·
Premium Member
20,402 Posts
Don't use the same screen name, nobody will know.

·
Registered
263 Posts
If I were you, and I am not, I would just buy it no matter what the cost, There will never be a time in the future that you will be able to do it again!
PB

1 - 14 of 14 Posts