1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK...nobody say I'm weird.
Me and my new Kimber Gold Combat Stainless were at a an IDPA workshop tonight.
We were running a drill where we run while drawing the pistol, fire two shots each into two targets using tactical priority, retreat to cover, reload, advance to another hard-cover and address two other targets, retreat behind cover, move to the third hard-cover position and address the last two targets in the same manner as the others. We each ran this drill 4 times with the intent to self-identify flaws in prior runs and correct them in each successive run.

On my 4th run, after target 1....the world felt like it had stopped but my brain and eyes were still running full speed. By the time I got to target 3....I was seeing paper "flakes" ejected from targets 1 and 2 slowly dancing in the air almost "suspended". On targets 4,5 , and 6.....I swear I saw the bullets in mid-flight and as they pierced the targets just where I wanted them to go without a clear recollection of aiming or firing.
The whole time.....my Gold Combat Stainless seemed like a part of me...an intergrated part of my body....an agent that did my bidding...seemingly controlled by thought alone.
I've been shooting for many years....but I'm new to "action" shooting. I've owned quality pieces before and some ( my previous fav is also a Kimber)"felt right"......but nothing like this has happened before.
Is this a magic gun? Could it be enchanted?
No amount of money can separate me from my Gold Combat now.
It is the real deal.
:eek:

·
Administrator
72,393 Posts
Were you doing a slow-motion cartwheel and handstand while shooting as well? :eek:

Maybe I'll try that with my GCS over at Wade's and see if it is indeed the gun causing that. And if so, maybe I can borrow your GCS as well and attempt some John Woo-esque sideways leaping while shooting from both hands drills. :D

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no acrobatics...none of the Hollywood stuff...just some slow-mo and a pistol that damn-near seemed to run itself.

I don't feel crazy....I feel blessed.
This is surely a sign from the 45 Gods...that I have been chosen to use this most holy of weapons to rid the world of the impure and impious IDPA targets.

M

·
0 Posts
[Obi-wan Kenobi] Use the Force Luke [/Obi-wan Kenobi]

It sounds to me like a good thing, I'm after that same "relationship" with my Wilson CQB.

·
Registered
132 Posts
It must have been the high concentrations of Lead that he was exposed to at the range :)

Good shooting!!!

45R

·
Registered
4 Posts
After 30 years of shooting big bore handguns, my first 1911 was a GC1 ss I bought 2 years ago. I have had similar, but not as intense experiences. Good shooting to you!

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Does your piece have a compass in the stock, and "this thing which tells time?" (a la ralphie and his red ryder bb gun?) If you recall, he was able to get off spectacular hip shots at black bart.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Actually, what you may have experienced is called "tachypsychia," or something like that. I've read about it in after-action reports.

What it means is that you are so entirely focused on engaging the target that, to your perspective, everything slows down. This is the effect that allows us to think, as the soccermom in the minivan is pulling in front of us as we're doing 45, "Gee, I wonder if I can slow down enough to avoid that soccermom in the minivan. Why is my airbag out and in my lap?"

It's fascinating to me - as a former psych student - that it would come up in a practice session...

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Although I've never had a name put to it, I've experienced the phenomenon to lesser or greater extent several times in my life. It often accompanies moments of danger, doubt, or intense concentration.
The first time I experienced it that I conciously remember, is one time, as a young kid, I decided to jump from my house's elevated porch (approx. 7 feet off the ground) over to the sidewalk. Now, I'd done the jump straight down to the soft garden (about 6 feet wide) before, but never OVER that to the walkway. I made the jump, and the instant I was in the air I thought "Maybe this was a bad idea..." and time slowed down, until the instant I made impact. The strange slow-motion thing was what stuck the event in my memory.
Also, if you read my report up i nthe Range Reports forum about the November IDPA at PDHSC, you'll recall I mentioned that the shooting I did was all very automatic, leaving me with no clear memory of sight pictures, trigger pulls, or reloads. That may well have been a milder version of this type of thing, without the slow-motion perceptions.
I'm of the opinion that this, more than anything, accounts for the arguement used by point-shooting proponents, wherein they say that people involved in shootings don't remember seeing or using their front sight. I barely remember it either, and that just in an IDPA match. But I was most certainly using it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think that some respondents are missing the point. I'm sure that 45_thud is a great shooter. It is not simply that. The gun has become the intermediary between the shooter and the target - The sum of the three is greater than all. The Kimber transfers the energy and focus. It is a beautiful thing.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
whoa kayak.......that's deep man.

This has turned into a really interesting topic. I'm glad I posted it.
I'm also glad to hear
1). others have had similar experiences
2). there's a name for it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thud - My Semper is Paratus! (Always Ready - US Coast Guard) Shooting since I was 9, turned 40 yesterday, feeling like the old man in the sea. Got heavy into Bullsey for awhile, got mediocre, hated it. Even with an Olympic gold medal winner as a coach. First time I really connected with a handgun was with my Kimber GC1 ss. Started with IPSC, and really happy since I moved over to IDPA. Shooting a Browning HiPower last few months (ammo's cheaper), but having fun.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
In the spirit of JGS, as THUD called it, I shall now post my mantra.
*ahem* *Yoda voice*

Obession is the path to l337ness.
Obsession leads to practice.
Practice leads to mad skillzzzz
Mad skillzzz lead to l337ness.

*/Yoda voice*

·
Premium Member
20,290 Posts
That's happened to me also...
Watkins Glen, NY
Bluegrass Festival