1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend I saw a Hi-Power with a slide that said "Mauser Werke" (and some other words that I can't recall). What's up with a Mauser Hi-Power? The finish and workmanship looked really super -- too good for a WWII Nazi piece?

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
It's probably one of those modern Mauser Hi-Power clones. They made a single action and a double action version - I think it was called the model 90(?) - possibly made with unlicensed-copy Hungarian (FEG) parts. They were in the gun catalogues for awhile, then dissappeared, several years ago.

However, based on Mauser's reputation alone, I think if I saw one (the single action version of course) at the right price I don't think I would pass it up.

·
Registered
16 Posts
According to "janes" defense the entire gun is made by FEG. Mauser purchases the entire gun in the white and refinishes it.
The parts may be better than the standard FEG parts and I would bet on it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, guys. Firestar, just to confirm, you are betting that the parts =are= better than FEG?

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
JNewell,

I would bet that Mauser had some very competent people QC check, and where necessary, "fit" individual parts before finishing and shipping them. It is based on that assumption that I for one wouldn't pass one up at the right price.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I would "bet" that the parts in the mauser version are better than the ones used in the FEG. I would imagine they are made to tighter tolerance and probably finished better.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mauser had them on display at a Shot Show Years ago. They are very well made guns. I have an FEG and have no complaints and find all parts interchange with BHP and the darned thing shoots like a dream with cheap high cap mags. I find no reason to own a gun with "Browning" stamped on it for $300 or more for the honor. Mauser also had a model in .30 Masuer, not sure it it made it to market.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts