1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I know this is a little off topic (not 1911) but I need some expert advice.

So I’ve been looking at a P38 Mauser date coded BYF43 (1943 ?), the pistol is probably a 7 or 8 out of 10, pretty nice. It also includes its leather flap holster, & 1 mag, I’m assuming it’s a commercial model as there’s no military stamps that I’ve seen on it.

So my question(s) are any idea of what a reasonable value would be and are there any things I should be looking for like defects. Is this something that can Be shot. ?

The sales guy says it’s a 9mm but I didn’t see any markings but quite frankly the gun was giving me the “itch” and having just bought a new 45-70 color case hardened side gate Henry I had reservations about spending the money , but the more I think about it I think it needs to come home, just not sure of what I’m looking at.

·
Registered
13,628 Posts
I don't have a value for you but I have a thought on it: Your new Henry was money "spent" as it's worth less now than what you paid & will likely not recover for many many years. But the Mauser, if bought for it's current value (whatever that is) isn't truly "spent" it's better described as "banked" money. Like cash deposited in a bank it will slowly & safely increase.

As long as you are willing to sell it if you need to, It's like a savings account.

·
Administrator
74,378 Posts
There were no commercial P.38s that late in the war. All were either military or police-issue guns. The thing to be careful of is the fact that like with any vintage collectible there are lots of fakes and altered guns floating around out there. Here are pics of my 1944 BYF that you can use as a comparison. Mine has the black grips but most usually had the reddish-brown ones. The Nazi proofs are on the right side of the slide and the last digits of the serial number should also be on all the major parts including the locking block. A clean, all-correct example will typical run in the $1200-$1500 range. Be aware that there are also plenty of import-marked guns out there as well. Those markings are usually applied to the very bottom of the mag well and are easy to file off, so watch out for that as well. BTW a good reference site is www.legacy-collectibles.com, which sells these guns by the boatload and has lots of good pictures of the markings.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well dsk & mag-man,,,,you guys cost me money 😁, I bought the Mauser yesterday, On the way home I took it to a friend who owns a local gun shop and is into military weaponry, he was a armorer in v-nam. Very knowledgeable !

So he went over the gun with me showing all the “waffen” marks and that all the s/n’s were the same. He gave the bore a really thorough look and proclaimed the gun as “perfect” with little to no visible wear on it. He was pretty impressed with it ! And then looked in a gun value book he had from 2014 & proclaimed worth about $600 as the high value in the book.

It came with the holster and 2 “correct” magazines, 1 with the correct serial numbers.

So all in all I paid more than $600 for it, not a lot more but more. The bluing is near perfect except for a very slight amount of holster wear on the edge of the barrel, damn, nice gun ! I hope to shoot it maybe Monday, I have new return springs on order from wolffe.

Thanks guy’s ! I do appreciate the help & advice !

·
Administrator
74,378 Posts
If it's original finish and you paid under a grand you got a bargain. Congrats.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks dsk, it is an original finish piece and I indeed paid just under 1k, thanks to you & magman’s recommendations. I just hated to spend the money after just buying my Henry 45-70 , but you guy’s made sense and “IT” was talking to me. Internally things look like new and seem to have been used very little at all. Very tight piece ! Thanks again, can’t wait to run a few rounds through it. Do you shoot yours ?

·
Administrator
74,378 Posts
I've only shot mine a couple times so far just to make sure it worked, thanks to the ammo shortage. When I do shoot 9mm it's usually my carry guns for practice. It seems like a decent pistol, and it's a far better shooter IMO than the P.08 Luger, but the DA trigger is pretty heavy to the point of almost being useless. In single action though it shoots great. It's also one of the few WW2-era guns to actually have sights big enough to see.

Reactions: passx

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Putting my barrel laser which has proven quite good over the years shows that the sights are on center for the POA but also shows the POI will be about 4” low of the POA. I realize that like the 1911 it was intended to file the front sight to get it on point but I ain’t going to do that since this is going to be more of a display/safe queen. I am going to shoot it, hopefully Friday but like you mainly to verify that it works and that’s about it.

·
Administrator
74,378 Posts
I believe these pistols were sighted in for 50 meters. If I recall correctly mine shot a little low at the usual "combat" distances as well. Of course don't forget the early Hi-Powers that had tangent sights graduated out to 1000 meters.

·
Registered
46 Posts
It’s generally recommended with older P-38s to use a tame 9mm round like Winchester white box.
My ‘80 built P-1 has the cross bar in the frame but I still don’t run any hot ammo through it.

Nice score, enjoy it !

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I believe these pistols were sighted in for 50 meters. If I recall correctly mine shot a little low at the usual "combat" distances as well. Of course don't forget the early Hi-Powers that had tangent sights graduated out to 1000 meters.
dsk, WOW ! 1000 meters ! I can’t see that far !

Tim, I’m going to shoot my Mauser today & I’ll use my reloads that I load to mid to low ratings, pretty mild stuff really ! I’ m not a real believer in ”hot” loads it just doesn‘t make any sense for me !

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Congratulations you got a nice gun that was calling you for a reasonable price. Good going!
PS, that Henry is a fine gun &
.45-70 a great ctg! 😉

1 - 13 of 13 Posts