1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every once in a while I get a wild hair and decide to being a project. Sometimes its woodworking stuff, sometimes something new on the truck, sometimes its gun stuff. I have always loved the idea of building a gun just the way I want it. I am thinking about building a custom rifle on a Mauser 98 action. I have found some actions I am looking at. Sarco has some 98's with the bolts already bent. I am probobly gonna chamber it in 30-06, a classic cartridge that I already have dies, brass and bullets for. I had thought about 338-06 but I am shying away from it now. I am gonna put at least a medium barrel on it, possibly a heavy barrel. If anyone has any good links for parts, barrels, stocks for custom Mausers I would love to know about them. Also, if anyone has bought one of the actions from Sarco I would love to know about it. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Don't know of any links yet, but this coming weekend I am going up north to pick up a Mauser actioned 45/70 that I just inherited. I will be paying close attention to the replies you get..:rock:

·
Registered
216 Posts
Why a heavy tube?

Unless its going to be a bench/target/shoot from the truck rifle or you are built like the Governator, the heavy barrel would probably be more trouble than its worth. You might also spoil the lines of the classic mauser rifle.

I'd make a point of looking at lots of custom rifles on the net or wherever and try and imagine what it will end up looking like.

But that said, this is your rifle and you get to choose.

The trend in some circles is heavy Bbls and big scopes. Good for stand shooting I suppose, but not for me. The lines of a custom rifle have to flow. A walkabout hunting rifle is how most of my rifles end up, but, that's me. Different strokes for different folks.

Check out heavy barrelled rifles (doesn't matter what brand, you are checking the balance, or lack of it) in the shop and feel how it comes up to the shoulder, etc. I had a friend who wanted to build a hunting rifle with a 28 inch heavy Bbl. I had a 26" HBar target BRNO (CZ) rifle. I got him to come over to my place and while we yakked, drank coffee, and I loaded ammo,etc I made him nurse and carry around the rifle the whole time and I wouldn't let him put it down. I oiled it and locked it bacxk in the safe when he left and he ended up buying a standard profile barrel. He never mentioned it again and I didn't say anything.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Heavy Rifles

The weight doesn't bother me. I use a Savage 12BVSS now and have never had a problem shooting offhand with heavy rifles. I'm 6'3" 260 so it isn't too big of a deal to carry a 13 pound rifle. The main thing I am concerned about is accuracy. I want a rilfe that is gonna shoot reliably at 500+. I am willing to trade the weight (or lack there of) for better accuracy.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Doesn't have to be heavy...

I have #2 and #3 contour Douglas barrels on two hunting rifles. One is chambered for 308Win and the other is .30-06 improved. With my handloads, either one will shoot tiny 10-shot groups at 100 yards, to the expected point of impact, year-round. Never tried them at 500 yards, but they both work well at 200.

My point in relating this is that both rifles weigh about 8lbs, with scope (add a 1/4 lb for a leather sling) and they are not only accurate, but precise as well.

By the way, if you go for the 338-06, you might consider getting it chambered for the Ackley-improved version, as it will provide a bit more velocity for the higher weight .338 bullets that have such nice sectional densities.

Chris

1 - 6 of 6 Posts