1911Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I loaded up some .45's using 5.5 Bullseye, 230 gr Hornady FMJ-RN #45177.

Is this too hot? I was trying to get some loads going for my Para Carry (Colt Defender 3" barrel sized) gun.

The data from my Lyman's book says for a 230 gr jacketed MC, 3.8-5.3 of Bullseye is ok. Will an extra .2 gr hurt?

I loaded some Hornady 185 gr HP/XTP's. Some at 5.0 gr and some at 5.5 gr. According to the Lyman book, I can go 3.5-6.0 Bullseye.

And of course, the reason I "overloaded" the 230's was, I forgot to reduce the powder charge a bit after loading the 185's at one in the morning. Yup, never do that again.

Any comments are appreciated. Or should I invest in a bullet puller?

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
I broke out my Midway Load map (which a friend on this board gave me, thanks Catbird33 :) ) and it shows your load of 5.5 grains is in the yellow, your up there but not quite in the red zone. This is of course using 1.275 OAL so any shorter and your raising the pressure, but I don't know enough to tell you how much of an increase that gives.

Oh, I loaded up some midway 230gr round nose at 5.0 gr. Bullseye/ 1.24OAL with no visible pressure signs
Hope that helps,
Jeff

·
Registered
169 Posts
Using Midway book

I always stay in green. I think itis 5.0 or less. I have never loaded more then 5.0 and they work perfect..

·
Registered
233 Posts
SHOOT THEM

I doubt 1/5 of a grain of any powder even fast burning propellants would affect your handloads making them unsafe,you not at the maximum listed charge yet,I would shoot them.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just to be safe...

I got a bullet puller and will pull them. I shot the ones at 5.0 and they fed fine, and gave me enough oomph. The reason I used the round 230 gr was I thought I was having feeding problems with my new gun with lead SWC's. I tried the 185 gr JHP's and they fed fine - so no need to keep the 5.5's until I WORK UP the load. Then again, I think I will keep a couple and let my buddy shoot them in his Glock - after he signs a waiver. :D

·
Registered
149 Posts
I load 5.0 grains of Bullseye with a Remington 230 MC bullet. The overall length is 1.250. This load functions excellently in my Springfield Gov't. Velocity is 830 fps.

·
Registered
209 Posts
DanDean316 said:
The data from my Lyman's book says for a 230 gr jacketed MC, 3.8-5.3 of Bullseye is ok. Will an extra .2 gr hurt?
Well...my Speer Manual says 5.7gr is the maximum load for that bullet.

Alliant's site says 5gr is max, and produces a higher velocity than the Speer manual's minimum charge of 5.2gr.

I wish they could all get together and standardize.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Gary42141 said:
Well...my Speer Manual says 5.7gr is the maximum load for that bullet.

Alliant's site says 5gr is max, and produces a higher velocity than the Speer manual's minimum charge of 5.2gr.

I wish they could all get together and standardize.
I think the reason they can't "standardize", is that the data is produced using different components and different lots of powder in different barrels each time. In a small volume straight wall case like the .45 acp, small differences in available case volume can make significant differences in pressure. This is why bullet set back can be a serious issue, and it's why staying out of the "red zone" is a good idea. Rather than loading to max pressure, I prefer to leave a little room for Murphy to operate. It would be a shame to lose a gun or an eye to bullet set back, a small variation in charge weight or even a box of ammo left in the sun for an hour. BD

·
Registered
170 Posts
What Still Creekin said! By the time you get loads into the "hot" level -and you are there- the factors he mentioned come into play, and you're to the point with your load level with a powder like Bullseye that a tenth of a grain can blow out a case head, if you're lucky.

It's all a matter of a number of variables going with you or against you, and if enough of them point in the wrong direction, you've got no safety margin, and, to borrow an expression, K-Boom! Examples, following from what Still Creekin said. You've loaded something that appears OK in the manual, but you've got an aftermarket barrel in your gun that has a tight chamber. You've been shooting a lot that day, and the gun is hot. You're using Bullseye, which is an excellent powder, but in which the volume of powder vs. the empty space in the case can be an issue. So let's say you shoot some of these and get primer flattening, but they're still shooting OK. Then you get a case where the crimp isn't quite tight enough, and you get .010" or so bullet setback. Your pressure spikes, your case head blows out (....we'll leave the gory details at that), you just went over the edge.

·
Registered
269 Posts
DanDean316 said:
I loaded up some .45's using 5.5 Bullseye, 230 gr Hornady FMJ-RN #45177.

Is this too hot? I was trying to get some loads going for my Para Carry (Colt Defender 3" barrel sized) gun.
Bullseye is an excellent powder. It's ideal for lighter loads with lighter bullets. Jeez, maybe that's why they called it Bullseye? It would not be my choice for pushing the speed limit with 230 grainers for the reasons I've already mentioned. If I'm loading for max velocity I'll use Blue Dot, or maybe something like Enforcer, (which I haven't tried as yet). These slower powders leave a lot more room for Murphy to operate, and cleaness of the burn isn't really much of an issue for me with a self defense type of load as I'm not going to go through 500 of them at a session. BD

·
Registered
216 Posts
Bullseye is mainly intended for low to medium velocities, if you want more velocity then a slower powder like Blue Dot or HS-6 would be a better choice.

·
Registered
238 Posts
i did the same thing with the loading mistake ,i shot them through a amt first just incase ,they were fine ,very little sign of over pressure ,only a few of them had a .0001 of the primer move out on them

1 - 15 of 15 Posts