1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I just want to know how hard it is to get a CCW license? Anyway, here's the thought, I know ccw has its limits and there are places where you can't bring your weapons to. So if you know you have to get in there like court houses, hospitals, schools, Do you still carry your babies and leave them in the car before you enter? Is it worth taking the risk of somebody stealing your car with your gun inside and have some bad guy scaring and shooting people with "your" gun or does that thought get clouded over by the thought of getting into trouble on the way and be able to fight back? I don't know if I make sense or being stupid, I just want to know if there are times when leaving a defensive gun at home is the more viable choice. Also, do you get in to a lot of trouble in the case where your gun get stolen?

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Cperlas,

You are probably going to see arguments on both sides of the “unlawful carry by a license holder law”. You live in Texas so this will definitely affect you. Some guys believe in carrying no matter what. I'll just tell you what I do. I do not carry in any area that is considered against the law. Look at it this way, you are taking a pretty big risk, and some are willing to take that risk. But, it is an automatic third degree felony (2-10 and a possible $10,000 fine) if you are caught. Maybe you can get it pleaded down and maybe you can't. If I were the prosecutor, I would definitely go for a felony conviction. If you're convicted, you can't have any weapons for five years from the date you are released from prison. It doesn’t stop there, after the first five years; you may only have a weapon in your home. When I went through my CCW class, the instructor made a special point of telling everyone to leave the weapon in the vehicle before going into a building that was considered unlawful. Personally, I’ve never had anything above a traffic ticket, it would be a bear to end up with a felony on my record just because I had to carry and couldn’t stand to leave it in the car.

------------------
Samual Adams: "The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." (Convention of the Commonwealth of Mass., 86-87)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Ain't too hard to get a concealed handgun license in Texas.

Probably harder to keep it.

FYI the DPS FAQ for TEX CHL is at:
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/crime_records/chl/faq.htm

I think your concerns are very real and you're wise to consider all the implications before getting a license to carry responsibly. Part of the class will cover non-violent conflict resolution. I try to remember those lessons whether I'm armed or not. Basically, be alert and don't get into more trouble than you can get yourself out of. Better yet, avoid trouble in the first place.

And record the serial number of your guns so you can report it if stolen.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts