1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all.

I am new to the forum and I am looking for some opinions here. I am as green as can be to the 1911 and this is my first one. After much deliberation in the vast sea of 1911s, I decided on the Springfield MC Operator. I picked up this gun a couple of days ago and just cleaned her up. I have not shot it yet. During my observations, I noticed a couple of things that I would like your opinion on.

First there is the area around the firing pin. As you can see from the picture, it appears to have ridges or gouges in it. It is difficult to feel the gouges with my fingers, but I can see them well enough. Will this cause problems? None of my other pistols have gouges like these, even after many rounds.

The second issue is the rear of the trigger guard on both sides. As you can see from the pictures, it looks as if someone went to town with a file on it and didn't even bother to try to straighten it out. The left side is definately worse than the right, but both sides are not straight. Now I might expect this on a GI or Mil-Spec, but this is a Loaded version. I understand it isn't their top of the line model, but couldn't they do better than this for $1100?

Do all Loadeds have this type of fit and finish or did I just get a rookie who was overzealous with a file? Is this something that I should be taking up with Springfield or is this normal?

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
Some breech faces are rougher than others.

unless it is rough to the point where is would not let a round smoothly up into the face, you should not have a problem.

for 1100 $ and the trigger guard is wavy, I personally would call SAI and ask them for a return number,

fix the guard and check the breech face.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would send it back. Springfield has great customer service. If you aren't satisfied they will try to satisfy you.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
The breechface is the same on mine. I think SA removes some of the armory kote in that area in order to improve feeding. I'd shoot it first.

My trigger guard is perfect. You pics are very good. I see what you're trying to say. You'll have to make a personal decision here to see if you want SA to fix your trigger guard issue. But still I would shoot the gun first to see if there are any other bugs. This way, you only have to send the gun once.

·
Premium Member
3,907 Posts
Looked at mine tonight and I wouldn't worry about the breech face, particularly until you shoot it, but the trigger guard does in fact look like ass. +1 on calling SA, that shouldn't have slipped thru the cracks. I'd ask them to blend it and then A-Kote the receiver black to match the slide. That'd look sweet and you wouldn't have to wait as long for them to mess around with serial numbers, etc. Everyone wins. I'm sure you'll be taken care of.

·
Registered
598 Posts
You right to expect better quality from Springfield for $1100. I would think they would want to take care of you for two reasons: to keep you as a satisfied customer and to make sure others don't see your trigger guard and think "what a P.O.S." Good Luck

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, after a long period of time and many emails, here is the update.

I have contacted Springfield customer service and they informed me that the bolt face should not be an issue. I have since fired about 400 rounds through it with one fail to feed at about the 40th round or so. It has worked flawlessly since then with no issues. Customer service has told me to send it back to address the trigger guard poor machining issues. I will be sending it back soon to get this issue resolved.

I will post results when I get the gun back.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SA sent my gun back to me. They replaced the frame on the gun. I assume this is because they couldn't fix the issues or at least not safely. They also refinished the slide. I took it out shooting and everything seems to work fine. I am satisfied with the results.

Thanks to Justin at SA for all his help.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I call that fantastic customer service. Time and again when there's a warranty issue that comes up that I think SA will just flunk on, they actually overwhelm me w/ their positive response.

SA took very good care of you. I'm glad to hear.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts