1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I could use some help if anyone has an idea. I took apart my new MC Operator after its first range trip. I had also done a field strip and lube prior to shooting. Now after I reassembled it, the thumb safety won't disengage.

Everything looks fine from the outside, but the thumb safety won't go down. I tried to apply a "reasonable" amount of force, but no luck so far. Anyone have an idea as to what boneheaded move I might have pulled and how to resolve it?

Thanks in advance,

mobiusnc

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
single sided safety or ambi?

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
Disassemble and try again. I'm thinking you got something wrong with the sear, hammer, spring assembly. I guessing, but I would detail strip down to the trigger and mag release and reassemble.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Disassemble and try again. I'm thinking you got something wrong with the sear, hammer, spring assembly. I guessing, but I would detail strip down to the trigger and mag release and reassemble.
Thanks for the responses. Rereading my original post I see I wasn't very clear with my description. I only did a field strip to clean/lube.

The problem is that I can't field strip the pistol now. The gun is fully in battery. The hammer is back (chamber empty) and the thumb safety is stuck in the up position and won't disengage :confused: I can't move the slide.

The is my second 1911, I've been shooting my other for a year or so and take it apart regularly. I can't figure out what I could have done wrong this time. I really at a loss as to what to do. I think I'll have to call Springfield on Monday. I dying to get to the range this weekend. It's torture I tell you.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Did you remove the safety when you stripped it?

Couple things to look at and try. check the plunger and safety contact area, you may need to manually push the plunger back in with a punch (or similar object) and disengage the safety at the same time. The safety might not be fitted quite right or the plunger might not be rounded enough.

If that doesn't work, remove the MSH, CAREFULLY! there will be a lot of force as your hammer should be cocked if the safety is on. After removing the MSH now remove the leaf spring. Now try the safety. Hopefully one of these works for you.

Keep us posted.:)

·
Registered
232 Posts
Try this

My TRP is having ambi probs. If you can see a gap (1/8thth in. + I guess, mine varies) in between the safety and the frame, you may need to squeeze the safety back together "outside" so that the tangs on the inside are fitted back where they are supposed to be.
Also strong side of ambi may have rode out of safety plunger (correct name?) because its (ambi) coming apart. Don't do something crazy, I usually use a block of wood dropped on it. (Its getting replaced.) Worse case Customer service....
These are guesses based on my problems/experiences... Others may add more if you can elaborate if this is going in the right direction
Post the solution! Thanks -Matt

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
My TRP is having ambi probs. If you can see a gap (1/8thth in. + I guess, mine varies) in between the safety and the frame, you may need to squeeze the safety back together "outside" so that the tangs on the inside are fitted back where they are supposed to be.

Bingo! Thank you Matt and everyone who made suggestions. Forgive my lack of knowledge on the proper terminology in the following. The "fix" was simple: just as Matt suggested I squeezed the back part of the ambi safety inward while pushing it down. *Click!* problem solved. But then I engaged/disengaged the safety several more times and and it became stuck 20% of the time. It certainly needs to be corrected in a more permanent manner.

Obviously I don't know enough to fix it myself, so I'll be calling Springfield first thing Monday morning. Hopefully, I can get it back in time for my pistol class on the 14th. I think I'm going ask if they will switch it out to single side while it's up there. Ambi was one of the features I didn't really care for anyway.

Thanks again! Now I can get a couple of days at the range before I ship it off.

mobiusnc

·
Registered
232 Posts
I see a trend...

2 outta 5.... I thought mine might have been because of Robar NP3 coating. Wonder if S/A knows. All of the 2 of 5 mentioned above were turned single sided or ed brown replaced by owner, S/A not informed.... Might be a fluke, might not.... All new or near brand new guns that I observed... HD guns, not duty guns. -Matt

addy: I would ship first and have fixed. Firearm not safe in current condition with safety not working properly. I do not fire mine. (my opinion, any agreement here?). If you explain to S/A the (problem pre-registered to a handgun class and single sided is a pretty easy fix for them) you can have it in the mail to S/A on Monday, and (can't speak for S/A) but might be back quickly. Call customer service and explain the situation, see what they say.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts