1911Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 203 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
yeah, Wilson makes a coversion kit/set. I don't have the part # handy. They sell it for $5.00 and the spring and follower fit neatly into a CMC mag and retain its 8 round capacity.

·
Registered
645 Posts
The part number you are looking for is #19 for $4.99 however these are the replacments for the stock Wilson mags. I just tried one in a CMC Shooting Star mag and it worked pretty well. I called Wilson and they tell me that kit is not made for CMC, Kimber or Colt mags. They said to use kit # 266-45C so I purchased a few for $7.95 each. I will let ya'll know how they work when they come in.

MadDog :p

·
Registered
238 Posts
Warranty

As Kimbers come with Mccormick mags, will they fix/replace the damaged frame?

·
Registered
125 Posts
I would dissagree with what info you recived on the #19 spring kit. This is what I emailed Willson:

I have a question concerning another potential order from me. I would like to get 5 springs and followers. I would prefer the Replacement 7rd follower/spg kits. I have two questions. The most improtant question I have about the kit is if the follower is plastic? The second question is will these kits fit your standard 1911 gov't seven round mags, as well as chip mccormic mags?

Thanks,
Wes
The response I recived was the following:

The follower in our spring kit is a polymer follower. There is one spring kit that should fit both of the magazine types that you have, it is the #19. If you have 8 round magazines this is not the case as there is one set-up for our magazine and a different one for the other brands.
Thanks,
Greg Gimenez
Wilson Combat & Scattergun Technologies - On Your Side
www.wilsoncombat.com
So, I don't see why they recomended the kit you mentioned, which I think is actually the rebuild kit for their mags.

I will pull out my catalouge and look tommarow. I have yet to install the new springs and followers that didn't arrive until Monday despite ordering on Tuesday at 6pm via internet and paying for two day shiping.

If they gave me the wrong info on the springs and followers, I can assure you and willson combat that I will take my future bussiness elsewhere.

Wes

·
Registered
645 Posts
Wangstang -

Wilson gave me just the opposite information. They said the #19 kit will work for Wilson and Colt mags but the #266-45C is better for the Shooting Star mags because the follower comes down just a little farther in the front which is supposed to be designed specifically for CMC mags. I put some #19 kits in CMC mags and they work well but I thought I would give a kit made specifically for CMC's a try.

MadDog :p

·
Registered
445 Posts
AZ Husker said:
Sniper's photo should be made into a "sticky" and made mandatory viewing since this topic is coming up so often!
I second AZ Husker's suggestion. It is info like this that makes this forum such a valuable resource. I just bought a new kimber and thanks to this thread I never fired a single round with the supplied magazine. I waited and bought me some Wilson Combat mags. I am truly grateful.

·
Registered
125 Posts
For the record, I installed my Willson Combat mag springs and followers last night.

The #19 kit, a mag spring and follower for $4.95, needs two points of info for potential buyers:

1) This kit is intended for 7 rd magazines only. If you have an 8rd shooting star mag, it works just fine, but, you will end up with a 7rd mag. This was a fine trade off for me as I only had one 8rd shooting star mag, and I figgure it is better for me to train with 7rd mags exclusivly so I trian the way I will shoot in combat.(IE it would suck to forget if I was on my 8rd mag or other 4 7rd mags)

2) The plastic followers are injection mold designs. So, if you look at the underside of the followers, you should see a small circle from where the plastic is injected. If you don't see an almost flat circle, but you do see a rod/tube/tail that is standing out of the follower, you need to trim it off. If you don't, it binds on the spring as the spring compresses and will keep you from fitting all your rds in the mag. I suggest a small pocket knife for the job.

Now, Willson Combat does sell a spring a follower kit (#266,45C) for $7.95 each which will convert your standard 7rd mags over to 8rd. I have not purchased these, but Mr. MadDog did so perhaps he will fill us in on them.

Wes

·
Registered
225 Posts
Well, it finally happened to me. One of my 10rd. CMC "Power Mags" put a mark on the frame of my Stainless Pro Carry II.

Does anybody offer a kit to "fix" the 10 rounders or do I need to sell them and buy some more Wilson mags?

·
Registered
11 Posts
FYI, I picked up and installed a couple of the Wilson #266,45C kits. They installed easily in the kimber mags, held 8 rounds and cycled fine by hand. I'll be trying them out at the range tomorrow.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I've been using the Wilson conversions in both Officers and Government mags for about 2 years with no adverse affects. other than the damage to the magwell I have never had any problems with the factory mags. I too would like to see this as a sticky, it would help a lot of newbies.

Tim

·
Registered
9 Posts
I ordered Wilsons conversion kits as well as some Wilson magazines for my Ultra size Kimbers. I had one Wilson full size magazine for my full size frames.
McCormicks were fairly easy to convert to the Wilson spring and follower but the Kimber factory mags are a problem.

This posting subject must have increased the value of Wilson's stock. I will probably end up spending at least $200 there for magazines and related followers.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Just for the record... ALL my mags are McCormick mags!

I wasn't trying to diss CMC, just warning about what can happen with aluminum frames. I personally don't own any aluminum 1911's anymore, and probably never will.

:D

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I am going to bring this back because I cant see the original pic and would like too. I just purchased a Custom Tactical II and 8 CMC 8 round mags with the split metal followers and would like to see the damage they caused. Also, an update on the mag modifications would be nice also. Thanks

·
Registered
445 Posts
Albert Shear said:
I am going to bring this back because I cant see the original pic and would like too.
When I look at the thread, Snipers's original picture is there:confused: Is there a reason why Albert Shear can't see it and I can?

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
PAOLO721 said:
When I look at the thread, Snipers's original picture is there:confused: Is there a reason why Albert Shear can't see it and I can?
For some reasom it did not come up the first time I tried it but now it did after I was notified of your post. thanks. WOW. I just bought 8 of the CMC mags for my new Tactical Custom II (aluminum). I have some Wilson followers and springs will see if they will work in the CMC. I can see what causes the gouges, the lower step on the metal CMC follower can ride over the front of the mag body and contact the frame. Again WOW! I am glad I saw this since I just purchased this(my first Kimber) and was going back and reading older posts on them. My kudos to everyone! Thank you.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Super info. I have 3 Kimber CDP's, and have never used anything but Wilson mags in them. I guess I got luck and am sure glad to see this info. :D

21 - 40 of 203 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.