1911Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 203 Posts
I've got about 300rds. thru my ultra 2 (s.s.) using the stock shooting star mag. don't see any damage to frame but ordered a Wilson just in case....thanks for the heads-up guys

So what mags are safe to use? Is the wilson magazine or wilson follower the only way to go? I am getting a Tactical Custom II soon and would like to know what are the best magazines to use or convert. Price is also an issue. Of the magazines offered by CDNN what would be best? Is it cheaper to buy the CMC and convert them with the Wilson follower kit or would I be better off getting the Wilson? What is the price difference?

Thanks

I have 3 Kimber mags that have Wilson followers and springs. They work good. I also have 4 Wilson Combat mags for the Ultra and my full size. They feed better and hold the ammo at a more consistent angle than any of the others that I have tried. They are worth the money. If you are on a budget then you can get the standard 7 round kits from Wilson for 4.95. Otherwise, either get the proper kits or mags.

I have the Tactical Custom II. Any mag with a plastic follower is ok and any mag with a a metal follower that has the shelf extension going into the body is ok. Basically wait until you buy the the gun then look at the mag Kimber supplies with it. It is the new one designed for aluminum frames and you can order more ore any Wilson. I made the mistake of getting Mccormick 8 round mags with the split-level steel followers and those are the culprits. I just changed out the springs and followers to Wilson polymers and they work fine just with 7 rounds though.

Stasher1 said:
Well, it finally happened to me. One of my 10rd. CMC "Power Mags" put a mark on the frame of my Stainless Pro Carry II.

Does anybody offer a kit to "fix" the 10 rounders or do I need to sell them and buy some more Wilson mags?
My ultra CDP won't feed on about 3 or 4 out of ten shots with myy power mag. I too need a fix for this.

pistolpete45 said:
My ultra CDP won't feed on about 3 or 4 out of ten shots with myy power mag. I too need a fix for this.
Do they make a different sized pad for use with the shorter frame, it's hard to keep up with the variations?

Does Wilsom make a kit for that magazine?

Good shooting!
:) :) :) :)

so will the #19 fit the kimber 8rd mag(it came with) or should I get something else and what would it be

Albert Shear said:
I am adding this pic of the offending steel split shelf follower in the CMC mag so everyone can see what not to use in an aluminum frame.
Is it safe to use with a steel frame, such as with my Custom II?
I just purchased quite a few 8 round magzines.
Thank you in advance.

pistolpete45 said:
That's just like my CMC 10rd Power Mag. Can anyone just put a Wilson plastic follower on the CMC spring? :confused:
Not sure about using only the follower, but I've seen numerous posts from people using the Wilson spring and follower kits in non Wilson Magazines.

Hope this helps,
Brian

I replaced all of the split followers on my Kimber mags with Wilson followers and springs. These were 7 round officer mags and 8 round full size mags. I also know that Kimber has round nose followers on their mags now according to what I read here. I just finally said the hell with it and bought Wilson mags. It would be interesting to see if the followers would work with the other springs. Would also be interesting to see if the Wilson 10 round mag springs and followers would work in the Kimber mags. I use the Kimber mags with the Wilson followers as well as the Wilson mags and they all work in my Ultra II and Custom.

Deezul

I haven't been by this forum in a while, I'm glad I stopped by. I've been telling anyone who asked me how I like my Tactical (my only Kimber) that it's a nice gun, but if you look inside, they did a very sloppy job of polishing the feedramp -- looks like a guy with a dremel slipped a few times, and they just let it leave the factory that way. It never occured to me that the magazines might have dug those grooves. Glad I know now before I put an other 2,000 rounds through it. Those McCormick's were the only magazines I've ever used with that gun.

41 - 60 of 203 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.