1911Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
141 - 160 of 203 Posts

·
Banned
7,483 Posts
I have one of the little alloy/stainless Kimbers on order and will pick it up on arrival next week. Stumbled onto this thread.

Is there a specific magazine to NOT use? :confused:

Is there a specific magazine TO USE? Wilson's OK? :confused:

Yeah, I know I could spend an hour reading the threads.... :D

-- Chuck

·
Registered
134 Posts
Chuck S said:
I have one of the little alloy/stainless Kimbers on order and will pick it up on arrival next week. Stumbled onto this thread.

-- Chuck
To answer your questions. Yes.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Chuck S said:

-- Chuck
All my kimber mags worked great, it's only an issue of avoiding cosmetic dents in the frame from the follower. Function was fine.

I now use Wilson followers and springs in my kimber mags, and have 2 complte wilson mags too.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Sorry if this has been answered before, I read this whole thread and I'm not sure I saw the answer to my question.

I have three of the "bad" Kimber magazines with the followers that are starting to gouge the alloy frame of my Series I stainless Ultra Carry. What is the part number of the Wilson spring and follower kit I need for the Ultra/Officers size mags. These are the seven round magazines. Is there a polymer follower kit that will allow me to keep the seven round capacity of these mags, or will I have to go down to six (which I can live with)?

Thanks in advance for all your help. This is a great site and I have learned a lot lurking the last few days.

I was going to just let it go, but I am kind of pissed at the attitude that Kimber seems to have taken with regards to this issue. The gouges may be purely cosmetic and have no impact on functionality, but they are unsightly and will definitely affect resale value. I would have thought that a recall would have been in order, and I at least hope that they have modified the magazines they are selling now to correct this issue. Granted, I have not asked, but based on what has been posted by those who have, it appears Kimber won't even offer to trade out the followers in my Kimber factory mags for ones that won't continue to gouge my frame. This shows no class, in my opinion.

In any event, I am trying to get over it, and am willing to spend the extra $$$ to fix something that never should have been a problem to begin with. I appreciate any guidance you experts are able to offer.

(edited to add: Read through the thread again and there was the answer on the first page. #19 kit loses one round capacity, #266,45C keeps same capacity)

JP out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Important Question....Newbie

Nice forum!
I am quite obviously new to this site...

I had for many years wanted to get back to basics and get another 1911... I purchased a Custom CDP II this last week... and it came with a 7 round Kimber magazine...and I asked the gun shop to recommend a good spare magazine...he sold me an 8 round "Chip McCormick" magazine.... I stumbled across this thread...and am now concerned to the point I'm even afraid to shoot the pistol (even with the supplied magazine) am I over-reacting?

I have yet to even shoot this pistol, and am in a position to return the magazine unused to the dealer, and if I have to will spend the extra money for something that won't damage my pistol. 7 round or 8...it doesn't matter to me.

Any suggestions please?

Many thanks in advance.

Dave

·
Registered
867 Posts
Look at the followers,

And see if they can move forward enough in the magazine to come in contact with the frame. The followers on some 8 rounders are short enough to be pitch forward and contact the frame.

The leading edge of some followers, like the Wilson's, is designed to stabalize the follower in the magazine body or tube to prevent this movement. If you look either earlier in this thread or do some searches, you'll find some pictures.

Good shooting!
:):):):)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm still puzzled..

Does that mean I have to worry or not? I'm not very technically minded. I just want a pistol I can rely on..and part of that is the parts on it NOT self destructing...magazines etc..I spent quite a bit of hard earned cash, and now I have the feeling that I perhaps made a bad choice.

Should I buy the other magazines, and get rid of the ones I have?

Once again...many thanks in advance..

Dave

·
Banned
7,483 Posts
I've Emailed Tripp, but don't know how fast they'll respond.

Do they make a "kit" for the shorter Officers Model pistol magazines, I'd like to try one in my Kimber Ultra Carry.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
9 Posts
I found the magazines

I found a local vendor for the Wilson 47D's and went down and purchased them. They ran me about $23.00 each plus tax (I got 2 of them) and will go to the range tomorrow to try them out.

I figured that was a little steep for a magazine, but well worth it not to worry about damaging a $1000.00 pistol.

I've been practicing field stripping and all, as it's been over 30 years since I last handled a Governament .45, but it does feel like going back to an old friend.

Once again to everybody. Thanks for your input.

Dave

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
I find this interesting. Several years ago I was planning to have a compact gun made with an al alloy frame. I was told that if I wanted the alloy frame then the smith would put in a ramped barrel. For another reason I did not have the gun made.

I have a Springfield LW compact and the barrel is ramped. In fact my Springfield Champion is steel but also has a ramped barrel.
Other things being equal I would prefer not to have a ramped barrel. But since the alloy frames are subject to gouging by both magazines and hollow point ammunition, according to the gunsmith, I am happy with the ramped barrels.

Jerry

·
Registered
6 Posts
Man that is a scary sight considering that I just bought my first aluminium frame Kimber, a Tactical Custom, I think that jusy like every other Kimber mag that I have come into possesion of this new one will go to file 13 also and I will stick to only Wilson mags. :cool:

·
Registered
6 Posts
)/&#*@! Mags

Remember when you were a teenager and the guys with the "hotrods" put the chrome tail pipe extensions and the chrome air cleaner covers on because it "made the car go faster" or maybe that was you ?
Kimber designed their magazines to work in their pistols, they work just fine and need no improvement, unless you like chrome tail pipe extensions and chrome air cleaners.

Just a thought.

TomTom

·
Registered
28 Posts
After reading thru this lengthy thread several times I remained a little confused. I've got the aluminum frame (Pro Carry II) and both Colt magazines (split steel followers) and Kimber mags. ("stepped" steel followers). Just to be safe I ordered Wilson Conversion Kits #266,45C from Brownells for all of 'em. Now all my followers are polymer and the mags. all hold 8 rounds. It was inexpensive insurance against possible future frame gouging. :cool:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Are the Kimber mags causing any damage to the aluminum frame Kimber guns?

·
Registered
28 Posts
John R - I caught mine before any real damage took place. I was seeing a slight "mark" on the feed ramp which I believe (after reading through this thread) was caused by the steel follower on my Kimber magazines. Others have reported definite gouges that can be seen and felt.

141 - 160 of 203 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.