1911Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
161 - 180 of 203 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Cmc Mags

i just recently started shooting again after several years and purchased 2 Kimbers(tactical custom ll,and pro carry ll).I put 500 rounds through both guns.After reading this forum i looked at my Tact custom and noticed about 3 very minor marks.I assumed these where just part of the breaking in process while cleaning the gun the other day.They are very minor and are barely noticble.Im using about 6 different CMC mags.I also bought a SW1911.This gun came with wilson combat mags.S&W must have known something.Im in the process of purchased the Kimber eclipse,and their ne Raptor 1911.I want to thank all you guys on the heads up.You have saved my guns.
Does anyone know if these minor marks will affect the performance of the gun.They are very small and can only be seen if you put a light in it.also if you toch them you cant feel.I hate to see what would have happened if i put 5000 rounds with these mags.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Man, you got bit by the whole swarm of 1911 bugs! :biglaugh: The marks won't affect the performance, just cosmetics. Just don't use the Kimber or McCormick mags in the tactical and there won't be a problem.

Tim

·
Registered
190 Posts
Cmc Mags

Tim,
Thanks for the info.Luckily,i caught this before it got too bad.The marks i have are so small you need to hold the gun to the light to see.Of course,i only have 500 rounds though the gun.Last night i ordered some wilson mags,and the follower/spring kits.Ill be using awilson mag that came with my S&W today.I cant believe Kimber keeps putting these mags in the guns.
Doug

·
Registered
28 Posts
Isn't there a procedure where a gunsmith can apply molten aluminum onto the affected area and then grind/smooth the contours back to its original form? I am only applying theory because I have a high grade bar stock aluminum mountain bike that I paid over 3 grand for. I messed it up on a ride and thought it was a total loss. The bike shop merely used a hot pencil torch and used an aluminum alloy weld stick to fix the damage. I'm wondering if a similar technique could be used to repair the damage to the aluminum Kimber ramps?

·
Registered
4 Posts
thanks for all of the info..

I have just been reading through this and wanted to thank everyone for the info... I just bought a new HDII and was starting to get nervous at the beginning of the thread. It took me a while to save for the Kimber, the last thing I would want would be marks on the ramp or a bill from the gunsmith.

After reading more I see that mine is fine as it has a steel frame. Could have effected me though and I thank everyone for the heads up!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Wow - THANKS guys! This is something I hadn't heard about - so when I read it last night I checked out my PC II - yup there's a chip in there. But at least I know now - so I can avoid it getting worse. :cool:

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Thanks. That was close. The follower is deffective. I won't be using it. I was going to shoot it with this mag tommorrow!

·
Registered
4 Posts
whew!

I remember reading a similar thread on this same subject almost a year ago. Good thing I remembered it. My Dad and I started breaking in our Tac Custom II's the other day and when I was cleaning them I noticed the same very beginning lines a lot of people on this thread mentioned. After just 100 rounds!Not that it took a lot of arm twisting, but I talked Dad into ordering some Wilson mags. This thread just shows evidence of a trend, having so many people report the same findings. Hopefully the gouging will stop right there. It's cool everyone can read and get a heads up like this though. Think of the money lost and guns that could get trashed.

OK, everybody....deep breath.....in with the good air.....out with the bad mags.

·
Registered
746 Posts
MadDog said:
Has anyone tried to put a Wilson plastic follower in a CMC Shooting Star or Power Mag? If so how did you get the Wilson follwer into the mag body? My wilson followers have to be removed from the bottom by taking the base plate off. All of my CMC mags have welded base pads and you get the follower out by angling them forward and then out past the feed lips.

Please help!!!!!!!
MadDog :confused:

Maddog,
I read your question and I think I have an answer for you. I found this on another forum (www.pistolsmith.com) anyway I hope this helps you, if not well I'm just confused :) I tried this with my GI issue mags and it helped a lot. I don't know who the original poster was so I can't give them the credit due, but it is on the above forum.

To remove the spring and follower from a welded base magazine.

Hold the magazine upright, depress the follower with a pencil or other rod of that size until the follower is below a couple witness holes, insert a pin (I use a nail) below the follower thru a set of witness holes to catch the spring, remove the pencil and shake the magazine upside down to remove the follower. You may have to use a hook to get it out of the tube. Cover the top of the magazine tube and remove the pin holding the spring in place. Watch that the spring does not escape. Note the direction of the spring and pull it from the magazine body.

To replace the spring and follower, place the spring or new spring in the magazine tube the same direction the original spring was, depress the spring until it is below two or three witness holes, insert the pin to hold the spring and then re-insert the follower. Make sure the tail of the follower is behind the spring and that the short upward slanting part of the spring is in the proper place on follower. Your hooked tool may be needed to position the spring correctly. Insert your pencil to hold the follower, remove the pin holding the spring and gently allow the follower and spring to rise to the lips of the magazine.

Addendum: The magazine spring goes into the tube with the full, flat spring loop down and the end with the short "leg" of the spring up. The short "leg" will have a small loop at its end and it will be angled upward. The looped end faces the front of the magazine and fits under the follower on the side the slide stop catch is on.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
LoadIt said:
Wow!!! After reading this thread, I'll save my Kimber mag for my Colt and use nothing but Wilson's in my Tactical Custom II from now on.
Why, it will scratch a Colt too. . . . and a Colt is the real deal!:D

·
Registered
116 Posts
Nathan, you might be right about scratches on the Colt, but at least it has a steel frame that won't have gouges in it. Come to think of it...I have only shot the Colt once in about the last two years. My Kimber is a weekly shooter.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Wilson mag problems w/ Pro CDP II

Hi, all,
I've posted some of this in other places, but thought it might help here.

Just a heads-up, but I recently acquired a Pro CDP II with an alloy frame. It was used, but just barely. When I first shot it--about 200 rds of Federal Hardball and 165 gr. of factory JHP (Personal Defense), it jammed a lot with two Wilson 8-rd mags--FTF and FTE. Could have been just break-in problems, but I ordered the Wilson spring and follower kits and rebuilt the mags. My unscientific impression was that the gun LOVED 165 gr. HP's and hated Wilson mags.

It had no failures with the 7-round factory mag. Or, oddly enough, and old factory Colt 7-rd. mag. Go figure. I'll look again, but I don't remember seeing any frame gouging when I cleaned it.

Could be too, the message is "use 7-round mags"? The marines and military people seem to swear by them!

Next time at the range, with three 8-rd. Wilsons--one new Wilson and two rebuilt ones--I fired my lead 200 gr swc loads (about 100 rds) indoors.I had only one FTE, which might have been caused by limp wristing --I was trying some thin grips on it, too thin, it turns out. The pistol beat the hell out of me because it bounced around in my hand with those grips--and the reloads although nothing like factory hardball, were brisk: 5.6 gr of W/W 231. (It's amazing what a slight change in the geometry of the grip will produce!) I shoot these loads all the time with my full-sized, steel 1911's and find them mild with those guns.

I then went outside (about 15 degrees) and fired about 32 rds of Fed. 165 gr JHPs. I didn't use the factory mag because I wanted to test the Wilsons. No failures. I couldn't check the accuracy with these factory rounds because I didn't have the right target stand to match the backstop, so I shot at steel chickens downrange. And, I wasn't looking for accuracy, only function. These factory JHP's are astronomically expensive. So I have to stop that stuff soon.

The accuracy with the lead SWC's was awful, but it too might have been my grip. Outside, with gloves on, I knocked down a couple the chickens at 75 yds with the JHP's.

Just as a (maybe off topic) footnote here, I also have a Les Baer Premiere Tactical (amazingly functional gun--accurate and failed to feed only once during break in, eats every kind of ammo without changing recoil springs), but it doesn't like Wilson mags either. When you have one in the chamberwith the breech closed, and try to jam a full 8-rd Wilson into it, it won't STAY in. I haven't tried it with the breech open. I just said "oh well" and bought two extra Baer mags. Everything on the Baer seems to fit like a bank vault. It took 500 rds to loosen it up enough to let you effortlessly pull back the slide.

And, finally, I have a custom Colt BSTS that loves Wilson mags.

Sorry for the length of the post. I hope it helps.

Paul Connell

·
Registered
15 Posts
Changed my opinion

Some time ago i posted that i was very happy with my kimber . Now some 500 rounds further, i seem to have a problem that at 50 rounds two or three rounds would not feed and get stuck on the ramp. (S & B, Fiocchi and Norinco, same results with the three of them)

Weapon is clean, good oiled, and it mostly happens with the last of one before the last round. After reading some threads here i will order a Wilson Magazine but if this not works, my gunshop can have my gun back, they will have to, our il make a scene and a lawcase of it. In Europe i paid 1200 € for this gun, a nearly as 1500 dollar, yes guns are expensive here. So i think that i have the right to get a gun that works. I will make a mail to Kimber to, and see how they react, i am not a hating person but i can not stand when i am cheated, and that is how i feel now.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I posted this pic on another thread, but just wanted to add my experience with the McCormick mags as well. Based upon some of your very insightful suggestions, I will only be using the Wilson-type mags with plastic followers from now on. Luckily mine did not cause significant problems. (knock wood). I also had a slight edge or "lip" rise up at the very end of the ramp which I had to file down ever so gently with a fine round file and 400 grit sandpaper. It is very smooth, and I am hoping to get to the range on Wednesday to try it out. Thanks to all of the very knowlegeable folks on this site who are willing to share their expertise :)

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
try Tripp followers and springs

I have tried the Tripp spring and followers, and I find that my firearm will now feed ammo that it wouldn't before. Tripp supposedly comes with a special strong spring and special follower, and my .45 now feeds shot shells that it would not do before. This should work in your magazines.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Wolff Mags

Just noticed a picture in my Mar '05 Combat Handguns (p. 13) of the Wolff Magazines for Colt 1911 and Commander .45ACP. Sure looks like the same as the McCormick style followers in the CMC mags talked about here SO these will present the same problem with the alloy frames, right?

161 - 180 of 203 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.