1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
measuring powders

Is it just my imagination or what? I have a harder time getting RedDot to feed smoothly thru my powder measure than Unique and Bullseye. I also get better consistancy with the last two powders, which I believe is because my powder measure binds sometimes on RedDot. I'm told the binding is because the powder is being 'cut' by the cylinder :confused: . The measure I'm using is a RCBS Uniflow, which is probably as old as I am, well at least I remember it from when I was a wee lad :) .

Is it a wore out measure or does this happen to everyone?

When the cylinder binds I usually get a .1 or .2 grain deviation, in either direction.

·
Registered
333 Posts
some powders work better than other in measures, i have some old alcon 8 thats hates measures so i use a dipper for it most of the time.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I've never used Red Dot before, but I was loading some 30-30 the other night with IMR3031, and it sounded like someone chopping vegtables everytime I pulled my Uniflow's handle. Yes, some powders meter better than others.

I mainly use W231, though I've found that powders like AA#5 flow through my Dillon like a dream.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
fremont said:
I've never used Red Dot before, but I was loading some 30-30 the other night with IMR3031, and it sounded like someone chopping vegtables everytime I pulled my Uniflow's handle. Yes, some powders meter better than others.

I mainly use W231, though I've found that powders like AA#5 flow through my Dillon like a dream.
LOL :) "chopping vegtables"

1 - 4 of 4 Posts