1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Kimber came with an 8rd MecGar mag. This was the only mag I had for the gun for a long time and it fed nearly 4k rounds through the gun without a hitch. Sometime after I got a bunch of Metalforms it cracked at the mag lips so I retired it to the junk mag pile (it still had not misfed). It was the only name brand mag in there. Heck, it was the only mag that had been made in the last 20 years to land there.

Despite that I decided to give them another chance since CDNN had them for $8 a piece. And maybe the cracked mag lips was a fluke. The first thing I noticed about the new mags was that they looke just like MecGars, but carried no marks, not even "MADE IN ITALY". The feed lips were also of a different design and the plastic base pads had come out of a different mold than my original mag. So if they weren't real MecGars, at least they exhibited the same overall quality as a MecGar, so I was happy. The two mags I ordered each had a different follower design, one was the traditional MecGar follower, and the other looked like the Pachmayr follower (which is made by MecGar I believe) but had a little tab on the front to keep the follower from moving forward.

Initial tests went good, I ran two loads of 185gr swc's with 6 grains of Unique (very light load) through them and a load of hard ball a piece. They worked fine as did the rest of my new mags (2 Mitchell Arms CMC PowerMags, and 2 Pachmayrs).

Today I went out with my normal plinking/target load, 200gr swc with 6.5 grains of Unique. I shot 50 rounds divided between the 2 mags and each had 1 failure to feed on the last round. The rear of the case was held slightly higher than the chamber and ahead of the extractor, both were identical failures. I ran the 2nd box of 50 through 2 of my "old reliable" Metalforms and saw no problems (as usual). I think the failures I saw with the MecGars were a combination of a soft spring (which my old MecGar had as well), and what I think was the deciding factor in these mags not performing when my other MecGar had.... shorter feed lips. The extra short feed lips in concert with the soft spring is a perfect scenario for the round ahead of extractor condition I was getting.

So these 2 MecGars are joining my other in the junk box, occasionally to be pulled out if I'm shooting light, short target loads which they should feed ok. Just a heads up if you were thinking of ordering some from CDNN to use with normal ammo.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Played around with my junk mags the other day and discovered a couple new things about my CDNN Mecgars. The springs were noticeably weaker than my old Mecgar marked mag that came with my Kimber. That mag is very well used compared to the CDNN ones being new, so this surprised me. After another 50 round test with the 3 mags and a last round FTF with both new mags and a perfect performace of the old mag I decided to stretch the springs. Finally got around to it tonight....

First thing I noticed when I took the new mags apart was the followers were tight in the mag body, they didn't drop out like I remembered my old Mecgar doing. So I took my old one apart to double check (my memory was correct). This lead me to my 2nd revelation. The old mag had 13 coils compared to the 10 coils on the new mags. And despite being used to feed my Kimber ~4000 rounds the spring was still 3/4" longer than the new mag springs.

In short, the crappy springs, and snug fitting followers that exagerate the problem rate these as a DO NOT BUY in my book. The Mitchell Arms 8 round Powermags and Pachmayr 7 rounders (Mecgar made with strong spring) are the way to go for cheap reliable mags from CDNN.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
good service

Hansgraf,

Those Mec-Gars gave you good long service. Nothing last forever. If they served you well get another. Currently I like Novak's as they seem to be well made and came with my Rock Island pistol as standard.

wmrimfire,22

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hope the new ones last for as many rounds as the old one did. I actually tracked down the problem that was making the feed lip crack, but I don't know what I'm going to do about it.

The MecGar bodies are made of thicker steel than the rest of my mags, so they fit tighter in the pistol, and on the backstrap the feed lips don't have the slight forward lean like some other mags do. The feed lip cracked because they would smack the acute angled edge at the top of the frame, just below the ejector. My Metalforms don't hit their, but some of my other mags aren't so fortunate.

I think the only fix is going to be for me to contour the top of the frame there so it doesn't smack the mags... but I cringe when I think about doing that to my Kimber.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I've had flawless performance from 3 Mecgar 10 rounders(hard to believe) for many years, so I finally bought two new 8 rounders and have had several last round failure to feeds. This is after a "break-in" period of several mis-feeds.

Wolff doesn't make replacement springs for mecgar so I may just toss them and stick with Wilson and CMC.

Oh well.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Prior to purchasing my Kimber TLE II in April, I had come to appreciate the quality of my Mec-Gar magazines that came with or that I purchased after for several Walther handguns that I own.

I found that Arizona Gun Runners had a very good price on 1911 magazines by Mec-Gar so I ordered 3 each, 8 and 7 round to test in My Kimber.

They all have "Made in Italy" on one side and Mec-Gar and their logo on the other. They are of the high quality that I have found on the Walther versions and function flawlessly in my Kimber and my Wilson CQB.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I had good luck with mine but only for about 200 rnds, now the slide doesn't lock back. oh well for I think 9 bucks, not a big deal. I can still use it for plinking at least.

·
Registered
4 Posts
any make spring should work on a single stack 1911 style mag,i myself have 6 38 super mecgar magazine i replaced all the spring and follower with wilson parts.contact brownells.com for 45.cal part # is 956-266-145 7.95$? each this come with new followers.there is a big difference in the thickness of the spring!

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MecGar springs are different from normal mag springs. They have stepped design that allows clearance for the tab on the front end of the follower. I haven't tried putting regular springs in but I eye balled it and didn't think it'd work. If the front tab bottoms out on the stacked up spring the follower could get wedged in there sideways.

Check out the pic of the springs here:
http://www.hometown.aol.com/cargun12/mags2.html

·
Registered
4 Posts
the spring maybe different but the mag design and specs are the same as any brand unless its a different caliber the only different is the bottom its either welded or stamp closed or if its removable like like wilson brand and for the follower i'd replaced with the same brand(wilson) so there would not be any problems.!!!

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Ah yes, replacing the follower too would fix the problem. The problem is I don't like the plastic followers, and if I buy Metalform followers and Wolff springs then the cost would be prohibitive. Either way it's cheaper to avoid the bulk packed mags and buy the marked ones. Midway sells the good MecGars for $11.55, compared to $8 for the bulk packed ones from CDNN. So while the cheap ones can be made to work it makes much more sense just to buy the good ones in the first place.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts