1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a low double didget ser# Thunder Ranch. Has about 1,000 rounds through it. 95% condition. Thinking about getting it refinished in melonite, no particular reason. Are the low ser#'s more valuable than recent? Will the refinish hurt the value? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
I wouldn't refinish it. In my experience, the earlier serial #s will bring a premium over a later one in the same condition. Also, sent you a PM.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
What's the premium between a low serial # and a higher serial # TRS ? how many more rounds are you going to shoot through it ? If I'm buying a pistol as a collector, once there's any sign of wear or usage, i'll look for another example. An unfired higher serial number has more value to me than a 95% low serial, unless there are significant engineering or spec changes that make the earlier model more desirable.

I'm doing one of my stainless guns because i want the added corrosion resistance, scratch resistance and the blackish color, (don't really like silver guns), and it's my carry weapon so the benefits are tangible.
If your TRS won't be carried and won't see a bucket load of rounds through it, then why bother with the melonite ? Let it's blue age gracefully.
If on the other hand you are going to hang on to it for a while and shoot 10's of thousands of rounds through it, it'll look better, for longer, with less apparent wear with a melonite finish than blued. That might be a wash in terms of resale as opposed to a well worn blue.

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
If I were going to refinish it, I'd consider letting Baer do it in the BearCoat( by Rocky Mtn Arms) to keep it more original. JMHO. Also, sent you another PM.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
walter lynn

As a general rule refinishing a firearm will reduce the resale value, even if refinished by the manufacturer. In many cases significantly. The general exception to this is, if the refinishing was done as part of a package by a well known gunsmith who's work is sought after, or collectable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts