1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got this back from Drakes Gun Works. What a fantastic finish! Drake is a great guy to work with too. 8 days from door to door!

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
Nice. Did Drake do the thumb safety and mainspring housing/magwell also?

·
Premium Member
1,605 Posts
curious why you went with this finish and not the Baer finish? Looking at getting one of mine done and trying to get all the info I can before having a tough blue finish done, thanks

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had about 10000 rounds through the gun before I had it refinished. I wanted a black finish that when worn would still protect against corrosion. I also liked the fact that the finish doesn't affect any of the close tolerance points such as the slide/frame fit. I've put about 300 rounds through it and lots of draws from kydex since getting it back and can see no wear yet.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Melonite looks great!!

Glock does up their slides and barrels in that finish no? It looks sharp, that finish is tough and non reflective, as well as corrosion resitant. I am thinking about that for my new Baer, altough I need to work out the details on the purchase of my Concept VII. The mfer totally misrepresented my gun as "new unfired in the box" etc, only to find when I received it....that it was a bone dry, full of powder fouling, and a "consignment item". All quotations are the sellers own words.

I guess that is neither here nor there, but I am sold on Les Baers just by holding and examining them up close for the first time. If this gun ends up being my gun or I get another one, I like melonite as a finish. Where exactly is the outfit that finished your gun and how to contact them? Was it really pricey or reasonable to get done?

Thanks, I am going to post pics as soon as I can sort out what is what with my gun.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Nah, Drake is rubbish, terrible, avoid like the plague !!!

Ok, none of that's even slightly true, I just don't want him to get all backlogged with a bunch of your guns when I want to send him some more of mine ;)

I know it's not a Baer, but.....

Drake did this Dan Wesson CBOB for me just before Christmas, quick turnaround, top notch work and very reasonable cost. He also did the small parts on mine with the exception of the FCG and springs. I believe he just did black oxide on the hammer. I wish I'd asked him to do the barrel too.
The finish is fantastic, I have 1200 rounds through this gun since I got it back and it's my daily carry and it still looks like I just unpacked it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Sweet!!

I have been in contact with Drake already for my pistol. I like the way he machined the slide stop, and chamfered the hole a bit on the frame with your DW.

I really like the bluing on my LB, the coloring is so....rich! Its the first blue gun I've owned, all others have been melonite, stainless, or parkerized.

Its true the Melonite stands up to wear so well compared to the others, but the look is not the same as bluing. It seems like bluing is a bit more scratch resistant than Stainless, and for sure parkerizing, but it will still look crappy if scratched.

I'm not sure what the heck I'm trying to say.....I gues I'm trying to convince myself to go with Melonite.

Cool pistols BTW.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
polished blue is my favorite finish, I don't think anything compares looks wise, even as it wears and thins out, but for a pistol that's going to get chucked around and be close to my lovely moist self, I think melonite is the thing...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts