1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What ever happened to those super-aggressively melted down 1911s you used to see? You know, the ones that looked like a used bar of soap? Was it just determined to be overkill, or did they actually start removing so much metal that they were damaging the structural integrity of the gun?

·
Banned
234 Posts
Clark Custom still does the "Meltdown",in fact I believe they actually coined the term and were the first to try and popularize it.

Kimber has a couple of versions of aggressively de-horned pistols but they're not as overdone as the Clark version.

I don't care for the looks of these treatments but it might be nice to carry one,especially if the piece rides close to your hide.

From what I've gathered on this subject by the pistolsmiths who build 1911s specifically for carry,claim that the "meltdown"type of de-horn is not necessary and a properly smoothed pistol is hard to notice by looking at it,that the difference is most notable when actually handling the piece.

I don't believe that there were any structural/malfuntion/weakening of the pistol issues,they just didn't quite catch on as a "must have" modification(thankfully).:rolleyes:

·
Registered
15,320 Posts
TRIPPING ("Hey! It's melting...")

The Kimber Ultra-Elite 'melt' made sense to me, but I don't care for heavily melted guns because I don't like the way they look.

My 1911 had a gentle dehorn, some from my friend's polishing belt, but mostly from me and my hand tools (stone, crocus-over-stick).

Sensuously smooth..........

·
Registered
82 Posts
When I first saw pictures of the Kimber CDP I did not like it. Then I saw it in person and I really liked it. I rented one, shot 50 rounds and went to the sales counter and bought one. Over two thousand rounds later I still like it. The only problem is Kimber did not give the melt treatment to the sights. Those Meps have very, very sharp edges, especially the front sight. I took a file to the front sight and now it looks terrible.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
The "Clark Meltdown"

·
Registered
354 Posts
Hey Cac,

Pics like that are your best advertisements! That's a lot better than the pics of the spalted maple on your web site! When I saw the spalted maple pics on your site, I didn't like it, but when I see it on the gun, wow! That's nice!

Got any pics of the buckeye burl on a gun?

By the way, if this is high-jacking the thread or maybe is getting too commercial, PM me with the pics and info.

Thanks,
Rich

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
RANash said:
When I saw the spalted maple pics on your site, I didn't like it, but when I see it on the gun, wow! That's nice!
Might look even better with grip screws! :D

I like the "melt" on my CDP I - I think it's a beautiful gun but it's my daily CCW gun so looks are secondary while the rounded edges are useful.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Might look even better with grip screws!
Yeah, I know...when you're taking pics of multiple grips it sure slows you down to put the screws in :eek:

RANash, I have a pic somewhere of buckeye burl on a stainless officers - I'll hunt it down and email it to you. Have a couple buckeye burl full sizes almost ready.

And on that Clark Meltdown...wow...that thing is really melted...nice.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts