1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in Memphis, hold your laughter, for Elvis Week the past couple of days!

Was in the cigar shop when a duty officer came in to see a couple off-duty friends. I noticed he didn't have a taser! Didn't think much of it, until I started to notice that NONE of the uniformed officers in the "downtown" and "Beale St" areas had tasers.

Memphis ranks 4th worst crime rate in 2015 (Bloomberg I think), and a bartender said that the police have a standing "shoot first ask questions later" policy (for the most part, I'm OK with this policy as I don't break many laws - they start this for speeding and I'm in trouble!).

I just found it curious that with the "anti-police" uprising of late that a department wouldn't be "requiring" less lethal options?
It is clearly NEVER the fault of the criminal so we MUST find a way to subdue instead of injure...

Thanks for the thoughts.

Best,
Dru

·
Administrator
73,107 Posts
Tasers aren't always reliable, and in fact sometimes they can cause a suspect to have a fatal medical issue especially if they're overweight and/or have a heart condition. Despite the news media essentially promoting them as the do-all, end-all, non-lethal alternative to firearms there are departments who feel they are a waste of time. Pepper spray was the most popular "non-lethal" alternative prior to the Taser, and even it could just as easily cause someone's death as be completely ineffective. The sad truth is that there is no guaranteed method of quickly yet safely incapacitating a threat. We are still decades away from developing a Star Trek phaser that can be set to "stun", and everything else currently out there could just as easily piss off your attacker and get you killed as cause his death.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Right on dsk!

I carry pepper spray daily but I can only see using it in very limited circumstances: aggressive but not life-threatening dogs and people. I did use it to convince a mugger to back off. Fortunately, the mugger wasn't much more than an "aggressive panhandler" but it did keep me from having to box/wrestle the guy.

A taser has to penetrate the skin with both barbs or it's not going to work. Those barbs may not penetrate clothing and they are unguided. They may not even hit the guy at all.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I live in Memphis...Most police here are under funded by our wreckless govt..
They do not even have simple gps systems in the cop cars,its pretty sad,other states
have been luring our fine policemen away from here with bigger paychecks and a brighter future...Memphis is in deep ****

Hope you enjoyed Elvis Week.....The King lives on

·
Banned
461 Posts
I used to get in trouble in the morning for the fight/takedown I got into the night before. After 15yrs. of not having those "tools" I would forget they were there and instinctively just use my hands like we always did before. My supervisor's would probably send me to prison now. The slightest breeze puts the pepper spray into your own face or your backups. The taser isn't all that accurate and you have to get two separate darts into them, one often missing the mark. Their are plenty of people who can work their way thru either non lethal weapon and continue fighting too.

·
Registered
14,933 Posts
I'm surprised that so many l.e. agencies do use tasers, since they're obviously worthless, based on the anecdotes posted in this thread. :eek:

·
Registered
416 Posts
Tools a Police Officer has:

Words: No one listens or follows instructions :confused:

Hands: Usually a 50/50 option. Win Some, Lose Some. Someone WILL get hurt :eek:

Billy Club: Someone will get hurt and maybe killed. :mad:

Pepper Spry: Both Officer and subject get an eye-full. Hopefully the subject get more of a dose. Can die from respiratory problems :bawling:

Taser: Probably the best choice if you have to go this far. Maybe someone will die, but the odds are very much against it. :barf:

Pistol: Someone (the subject) WILL die (in most cases). Its not called deadly force for nothing. :mummy:

So what are the options: Me; I'd keep my mouth shut and do as told. Live to fight another day (in court).

Billy Club? No Way, Jose. I can thing of better ways to get a headache.

Pepper Spray: Been there, done that. You ain't right for a couple of hours.

Taser: No problem. Been there and etc, etc. Wears off is seconds as soon as the juice stops. Your best bet after running off at the mouth. And,, it may held your Arthritis.

One follows the other; its called "Force Continuum."

So, if you don't keep your mouth shut, you could be shot.

Just my thoughts for the morning. :)

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
You can add to the list the lead sap. More elegant than the billy club or night stick; and less obtrusive. I knew more than a few police officers who were so talented with the sap, that they could remove it from a special trousers pocket, pop someone upside the head, and be in control in an instant. It's one of the few weapons most folks never see coming.

·
Banned
608 Posts
...the police have a standing "shoot first ask questions later" policy (for the most part, I'm OK with this policy as I don't break many laws - ...
:hrm: Satire?

I just found it curious that with the "anti-police" uprising of late that a department wouldn't be "requiring" less lethal options?
It's not an anti-police uprising, it's about bullies with badges who flout the law with little or no consequence.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I'm not a LEO, but i think they should be carried.

Do they work all the time? obviously not. can they kill? in the right circumstances.

But if you rule them out for those reasons, then stop using your words, hands, clubs, etc and just roll up and shoot everyone.

and with that obviously there are right and wrong times to pull it first. if i was carrying one and was alone, faced with a threat I doubt i'd go there first. but with backup/partners etc it seems to be a good choice for at least one person to have it at the ready to increase the options.

·
Banned
461 Posts
BushidoBrown the only bullies wearing badges I worked with were the bosses. Most if not all the road cops in the last 30 years are anemic video game playing metros afraid of guns and birkenstock wearing diesel chickmen who want to castrate every man in the world. Our country needs some of those old common sense bullies of past times......

·
Banned
5,244 Posts
When you see a cop with Batman utility belt, people tend to challenge them.

Take a Texas Ranger, when you see him, he has a gun, extra ammo, and one set of handcuffs. When he talks, people listen. Why? They know that the options are being told once or being shot. There is not a multi options belt.

Tasers cost more than a gun. A single cartridge is about the cost of a box of ammo. There is restricted areas to shoot a person facing you, the back is preferred. There is a 7-21 foot range on them. That means between about 10 feet and 18 feet they work well. At close range you don't get a proper spread, at distance you miss with a barb. They run about a 75% failure rate at my work and that's better than the 80% failure rate many run.

The taser is great when it works, but there are issues. Grip it to hard and you might disconnect the battery, miss and it takes time to reload and its not pretty watching speed reloads... Get it wet and it wont work. Taser wants daily tests, that drain the battery, that you have to replace, then they change the design, to a new model that takes new batteries, that use a new holster, that have new data tracking...

Taser is good about data. It will give tons of info on the time temp etc. It tracks each trigger pull and how long it was held and how long the charge was, etc... disconnects and other things.

If you got money, why not waste it and buy all officers tasers. Its about like having all officers with body cameras. The few times it does its job it can be seen as worth it. I mean its not like the police really pay for it, its the tax payers who foot the bill on cameras. If tax payers really cared, they would insure charges get filed on those that file false reports as 95%+ of police complaints are unfounded and complainants clearly lied. Many are Teachers, Politicians, and Lawyers, who knowingly file false reports, yet nothing is done criminal wise.

·
Banned
461 Posts
If tax payers really cared, they would insure charges get filed on those that file false reports as 95%+ of police complaints are unfounded and complainants clearly lied. Many are Teachers, Politicians, and Lawyers, who knowingly file false reports, yet nothing is done criminal wise.
Amen.....

·
Registered
7,403 Posts
I'm guessing those who don't think tasers work, have never been tazed before. My advice would be try it...they work. There is no fighting through it. It's totally incapacitating.

I've not been pepper sprayed. But my friend has. It looked pretty painful. I suppose a guy could fight through it, but not very effectively. Kinda hard to fight what you can't see.

The only way a cop would shoot himself with mace is if he had the can turned around backwards. It comes out as a stream, sort of like a squirt gun. So a cop is definitely not as likely to spray himself as he is to spray the perp.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
As I read through this, I can't help but wonder why the police have been progressively hamstrung over the years and why people expect them to use a number of less lethal options... if I was stupid enough to want to fight/kill/injure/escape an officer, I'd expect to get shot, no question about it.

Interestingly, today's criminal wants to challenge/fight/ run from the law and expect that the officer grant it or not protect themselves. So why do criminals feel they are so entitled and the officer is not? If you get tased, you most likley went 2-3 steps past what is expected and required during a stop. At the end of the day, I do value an officer's life above a criminal's life, although the media clearly sees it the opposite way. I realize there is an occasional "bad cop" but it's clearly the exception and not the rule, and the should be prosecuted to the fullest extent.

I do see a few instances where a taser could be a good option but to require it, may actually impair an officer's ability to defend himself or others by placating the brass/media/etc.

This latest generation and it's sudden push for civil disobedience forgot a few things- civil disobedience isn't supposed to be violent and it still comes with (sometimes severe) consequences.

At the end of the day, YOU are responsible for your own actions. If you really want to change policy- don't try to do it during a stop... it never ends well.

·
Banned
608 Posts
As I read through this, I can't help but wonder why the police have been progressively hamstrung over the years and why people expect them to use a number of less lethal options... if I was stupid enough to want to fight/kill/injure/escape an officer, I'd expect to get shot, no question about it.

So you're okay with police killing people for running away? I guess shooting people in the back isn't looked down upon like it once was...

·
Registered
275 Posts
Did he have a baton...
When law enforcement took away the baton option ( thanks media ) it really made deadly force more common.
In the day many used the baton when they really should have been poking 357 mag. 9mm or 40 S&W holes in the attacker.
Mace...then pepper spray was ok for most punks ...tazer worked most ( most ) the time ....baton worked more times than not ...bad drunks were the exception some of the time ...drunks took strikes that made me cringe like they were nothing.

·
Registered
275 Posts
The only way a cop would shoot himself with mace is if he had the can turned around backwards. It comes out as a stream, sort of like a squirt gun. So a cop is definitely not as likely to spray himself as he is to spray the perp.
Wind blows it back on you........then you have to transport the knucklehead to the hospital ...then jail.( he is in the car with you or the officer with the least rank :)....)
And there are options ....mist spray or stream spray , each has advantages , disadvantages.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts