1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a Meprolight tritium front sight installed on my SA back in February, and now it's dimmed to the point of being invisible at arms length. I've dug around the bit on the net and found that apparently Meprolight is rumored to have recently had up to 50% returns due to QC problems.

I've had Mepros on my Glock 26 for 4 years and they're still going strong, but I'm a bit concerned about getting another Mepro installed. Seriously thinking about having Novak go ahead and machine/install a dovetailed front sight on the SA. Any opinions?

·
Banned
5,952 Posts
Hi Black Rifle...
I've had the same Trijicons on my Colt for 10 years and they are still as bright as brand new Mepros. When the Trijicons were installed they were so bright I could have used them as green headlights on my car.
Sam

·
Registered
696 Posts
Trijicon sights are in My opinion the best value on the market.I've owned a few different brands and keep coming back to trijicons.tom.

------------------
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER

·
Registered
293 Posts
i had meprolights put on my colt a couple of months ago, when i got home i noticed that the front sight was very dim, i called the gunshop where i had them put on, he called kimber ( the dealer for meps now) they sent him a new front sight, no questions asked, the sight came in a couple of days later, and by that time my front sight was completely out. i have had no problem with the new one. i have to say that i was very happy with the way both the smith and the dealer handled it.

it did make me wonder though if staking the front sight had anything to do with it, since it gets a bit more pounding than a dovetail or a glock style.

russel the cop

------------------
CHANCE FAVORS THE PREPARED MIND....

·
Registered
204 Posts
I've got Meprolights on two of my carry guns. The older set has been installed for about three years. I almost need to wear sunglasses at night! Seriously, I like them better than the Trijicons I used to use, they have much bigger dots at about the same brightness.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My gunsmith replaced the front sight, no questions asked. He intends to have Kimber send him a replacement for his stock.

The front sight on my Glock 26 is beginning to dim, but not the rears, so it's probably going to be replaced with another Meprolight in a year or so.

If this Mepro on my Springfield goes south too, it's off to Novak for a dovetailed front sight with Trijicon inserts. I've always prefered the Meprolights over the Trijicons, but if I have anymore problems I'm switching.

Thanks for all your replies!

·
Registered
285 Posts
I used to see this alot with Mepros on several dept. Glocks , They switched to Trijicons and no troubles . I still see my old glock 22 from 1993 and the Trijicons are bright as ever . I do have to say that Mapro does stand behind their product though so give em a call.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts