1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own and have shot my 4" and 5" CQBs for about one year. I would like to upgrade the night sights. Has anyone here put Meprolights on their CQBs without having to do major surgery? Did it have much effect?
Thanks!! -bsr

·
Registered
462 Posts
I don't think Meprolights are the Tritium inserts used by Wilson Combat. I know Meprolights are used by Kimber for night sights.

I think Wilson Combat uses Trijicons inserts. Their 463 series night sight system is the "Combat Pyramid". Two Orange (amber) dots in the rear with one green on the front.

If you have the old Wilson Combat "nighteyes" sights in your pistol, they can replace the rears with the 463 series night signts without major slide modifications.

If you're curious who supplies the Tritium inserts to Wilson Combat, just call customer service. They'll tell you.

·
Registered
462 Posts
One other point...

I have a Wilson Protector which I had Larry Vickers modify.

One of the modifications was to replace the stock 463 series Wilson Combat night sights with a Heinie Straight Eight Slant Pro rear sight and Novak roll pinned front sight (front sight was serrated to match the serrations on the rear). Both front and rear had Trijicon inserts installed.

This modification didn't require any major slide modifications.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I can say for sure that the inserts that are in my SGP are NOT Trijicon, they are no where near as bright. On the other hand they are NOT cheesy Mepros. If I recall, Wilson uses IWI's inserts.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
riverdog said:
Are you sure that's an upgrade?
Took the words out of my mouth. Also, as far as I know Meprolight doesn't make sights for the sight cut that Wilson uses for their current sights.

I can see replacing the Wilson sights with Heinies or Novaks, however. I think Wilson just uses the "Novak" cut for their current night sights, so standard Novak or Heinie sights for the Novak cut should drop right in. Either are available with Trijicon inserts.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Has anyone ever fired their Wilson at night?

The idea of night sights is a bit of a paradox really. On the one hand they certainly assist in getting the target acquired, if it can be seen. However, after firing, the muzzleflash is bright enough that I have been temporarily blinded and the sights are useless. After 30 seconds or so I can refocus and acquire the target again. So, I question the true need for them. My preference is for a good set of day sights and carry a SureFire or comparable flashlight for darkness.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
However, after firing, the muzzleflash is bright enough that I have been temporarily blinded and the sights are useless.
Get better ammo. Quality self-defense ammo has flash suppressing chemicals added.

·
Banned
112 Posts
I have shot rabbits at dusk and that is when the night sights really perform well. Regular black sights cannot even be seen when its dusk or when there is a dark background. In my oponion night sights are a necessity on any pistol.

Jim

·
Registered
721 Posts
I had a customer inquiring about installing Novak sights on his CQB. I asked Wayne Novak. According to him, it will work on the rear however, the front sight has a different dovetail and would have to be recut. The front Wilson sight is too tall to just change out the rear. This has not been confirmed by a Wilson rep. yet.

·
Registered
721 Posts
msmith said:
I had a customer inquiring about installing Novak sights on his CQB. I asked Wayne Novak. According to him, it will work on the rear however, the front sight has a different dovetail and would have to be recut. The front Wilson sight is too tall to just change out the rear. This has not been confirmed by a Wilson rep. yet.
My Wilson Combat rep. confirmed the same.

·
Registered
238 Posts
However, after firing, the muzzleflash is bright enough that I have been temporarily blinded and the sights are useless.
hopefully after the first shot you won't need them anyway

just call wilson buy,and them from wilson ,you will get exact fit and their prices are not high enough to warrant getting anything else

1 - 15 of 15 Posts