1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a Colt 1991A1 ORM that was lightly customized by a well known smith a few years ago. There are a few things I don't like about it, but I don't want to have it sit at a gunsmith for months/years waiting to get "fixed." The original gunsmith is now extremely backlogged (it took a year and a half to begin with) and I don't want to be without the gun for that long.

Here are my issues:

-Slide to frame fit. This thing is extremely loose. Major rattle. My concern is that it will lead to increased wear. Don't want it super tight or anything, just not rattling itself to death.

-Three holes on underside of dustcover from Dawson rail.

-Trigger fits loose. Lots of vertical movement and rattle and lots of pretravel.

-Beavertail fit. The particular smith originally fit the CMC beavertail so that it was smooth on the bottom of the tang when it was not pressed in. When it was pressed in it became jagged and would cut the crap out of me hand. I sent the frame back to him and he refit it so that it was mostly smooth when pressed in, but it still is a tad jagged. I just want it fight right.

That's pretty much it. Is this stuff worth worrying about? It bothers me, so I assume it is, but I don't want to be without the gun for an extended period again.

What do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
11,666 Posts
...I have a Colt 1991A1 ORM that was lightly customized by a well known smith... There are a few things I don't like about it... The original gunsmith is now extremely backlogged ..and I don't want to be without the gun for that long.

Here are my issues:

-Slide to frame fit. This thing is extremely loose. Major rattle. My concern is that it will lead to increased wear...

-Three holes on underside of dustcover from Dawson rail.

-Trigger fits loose. Lots of vertical movement and rattle and lots of pretravel.

-Beavertail fit. The particular smith originally fit the CMC beavertail so that it was smooth on the bottom of the tang when it was not pressed in. When it was pressed in it became jagged and would cut the crap out of me hand. I sent the frame back to him and he refit it so that it was mostly smooth when pressed in, but it still is a tad jagged. I just want it fight right.

... Is this stuff worth worrying about? It bothers me, so I assume it is...
Loose fit frame/slide won't likely get much worse unless you shoot it to pieces. How does it shoot? If it shoots well enough for you, don't worry about it.

You can fit a new trigger yourself to eliminate vertical slop. You must have adequate pretravel for proper function, so don't expect to remove it all.

Where does your beavertail have sharp/jagged edges? Beavertail should always be fit to be smooth/comfortable when grasped. Pics would help.

Bottom line is that if it really bothers you, then you won't be satisfied till it is corrected. Maybe you could get one thing at a time fixed to avoid long separation anxiety.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
How attached are you to the piece? If you wanna keep her, then you should get the issues resolved. If you don't you will never be happy with it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The jagged part is where the underside of the frame tang and beavertail meet up. The beavertail goes lower than the frame tang creating a sharp edge.

I'm very attached to the gun. It was the first pistol I ever bought. I have no intention of selling it, I just want it to be right.

I understand that quality work is expensive and takes a long time. I just don't have the time right now for it to sit somewhere.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
You gotta fix her up then. Holes in dust cover, fit new trigger, blend tangs to new beaver tail, tighten up the slide to the frame. Find a good 1911 smith and 'git r done'. Only option.:)

·
Registered
309 Posts
If you're attached to the gun but some stuff drives you crazy, get it fixed by a top notch smith. Call around, you might find one who's quick on the turnaround time. One guy I would suggest is Jim Milks, who used to be the gunsmith at EGW. He's done a fair amount of work for me and his turnaround times were reasonable. When EGW stopped doing custom gunsmithing, he set up shop on his own.

http://innovativecustomguns.com/

Of the things you mentioned, loose slide/frame fits really don't affect accuracy or durability much at all. I have 1911s with loose slide/frame fits that have excellent accuracy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts