1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,

A few minutes ago, I got a telemarketing-type cold call from some woman asking me to hold on for a "very important recorded message" from Congressman King (sp? maybe Keane, or similar, couldn't tell for sure). She said the message was about the "latest outrageous scheme by the gun-grabbers" -- she said that I wouldn't believe "what they're up to". Then, she transferred me. I heard a phone-ring, then got hold-music and a repeating message that "your call is very important, someone will be with you shortly". After a few moments of this, I remembered some of the phone scams I've read about, where they try to get you to call a foreign country and charge an outrageous amount, so I hung up.

I tried calling Verizon, to see if I'd just been billed for an expensive call, but their offices are closed. I'll try again tomorrow morning.

Has anyone heard about Congressman King and his recorded message? If so, what's the message? Or, is this a scam, and have I just been hosed?

Thanks.

·
Registered
161 Posts
May be the real deal--followup w/Verizon, though...

House.gov lists two Kings, both GOP: Peter T., of Seaford, NY (Financial Services, Homeland Security, and International Relations committees) and Steve, of Kiron, IA (Agriculture, Judiciary, and Small Business committees).

http://clerk.house.gov/members/index.html

·
Registered
161 Posts
Survey shows...

...a Kind, Ron, Democrat--La Crosse, WI (Budget, Education & Workforce, and Resources committees) and a Kingston, Jack--Republican, Savannah, GA (Appropriations Committee only). Judiciary has a Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism & Homeland Security--dollars to pesos Steve's yer guy.

I recommend every 2A partisan logon to thomas.loc.gov and run a search on "firearm" and/or "gun" at least once or twice a week; identify bills that have huge cosponsor counts, and tell your Congressthings to get with the program--for example, DC Citizens' Personal Protection Act, HR1288, has 222 cosponsors, but has been stuck in the House Committee on Gov't Reform since March; the Senate companion, S1082, with 35 cosponsors, has been in the Senate Committee on Homeland Security & Gov't Affairs, Subcommittee on Oversight of Gov't Mgt., the Federal Workforce, and DC since June. (This is one of our friend Senator Hutchison's babies--let's send 'em a message to get it movin'! I'd write my own, but "Sheriff" Reichert's shaky on guns, and my senators are Can'tvotewell and Patty bin Murray and I could'nt change their minds even for a major soft-money campaign contribution.)

Perhaps we need a new board as a Federal legislation tracker, appraising our biggest opportunities and threats, updated by us members onnce a week or so. The enemy uses talking points, so why shouldn't we coordinate strategy?

Also, we need to identify our allies under the Crapitol Dome, so as we get alerts from them, they can go out across the national wire. Should probably keep tabs on the enemy's moves, too.

I'm willing to help out with this, but I can't even begin to approach doing it all alone. Who's interested and with me?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nedry -- thanks for the replies.

Update:

I called Verizon and asked about my account. The operator said that there were no charges on my account from last night. He also said that, since I didn't push any buttons on my phone (as if transferring control), I couldn't have been switched over to being charged for the call. So, the call may have been legitimate, just odd.

Anyways, the Congressman's name was a single syllable, that sounded a lot like "King" (the telemarketer had a bit of a lisp, so it was kinda hard to tell for sure). Unfortunately, she did not say what state or district the Congressman represented.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts