1911Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anyone is having problems getting a 9mm 1911 to run, specifically due to a mag related issue, check out my post in the Caspian section (Caspian 9mm 1911 magazine question?). It may help, as I found a combination of mods with the new Springfield/Metalform mags that made the gun run 100%.
Hope it helps.
Nick-

·
Registered
41 Posts
9MM Metalform

Nick;

Metalform 9MM mags are the best. I use what I call the older style mags (with the spacer inside the mag body at the back of the follower). I have tried Colt and Megar mags, but for the best reliability, Metalforms are in my shooting bag.

I did have one Metalform mag that failed to engage the slide lock on the last round and my feeble attempts to correct the problem by attempting to bend the follower resulted in a broken follower...hence my post in this section for a follower. I should have just marked the mag and used it only for range practice, but...:)

I know two shooters who purchased Springfield Armory pistols with the new style 9MM Metalform mags with the feed lip modification, and they both had some feeding problems (could have been caused by the new pistols). They both now shoot only the old style (spacer) mags with no problems...

Sakima

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sakima,
Glad things worked out for you. I think each gun is different and depending on what parts were used, which batch of mags you got form Metalform and other variables will determine which mags work for you. I was just posting my experience in the hope what I learned might help someone else. I'm glad you had good results with the rear spacer mag. However, they did not work for me.
Best,
Nick-

·
Registered
41 Posts
Nick;

You could be right. I built my 9MM from the ground up so it is not even close to being a stock gun, nor is it close to a big $$ gun. I have purchased my Metalform mags over the last 7 years and other than the problems I had with the one mag, they have worked flawless.

I did pick up a few used Metalform mags from a former competitor, and they were polished with all high spots removed. They do eject slightly quicker than my untouched mags, but I have never had a Metalform mag not eject full or otherwise. I will probably do the same polishing job to all my mags.

I have been wanting to try the new style mags to see how they work, but I keep hearing the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" voice in my head.

Thanks for the info.

Sakima

1 - 5 of 5 Posts