1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have three of these mags and they show promise although they are not 100% there yet, IMO.

They are almost excessively and somewhat unevenly satin polished. In some places near the bottom the tubes are as thin as .019 and as thick as .030 near the lips.

The follower appears to be the same Metalform round top follower we have seen for years, except with a greater degree of satin polish that appears to be hand applied also. It has quite a bit of fore and aft movement in the tube.

The spring is 13 coils and appears to be Wolff. No real surpises here.

The lip dimensions were fairly consistent on the mags(.380-384). The lips are tighter than my Wilson's (.410) and similar to Novak's (ACT-MAG).

For the price ($38) I am somehwat underwhelmed by the construction and finish. The mags are extremely difficult to seat when charged to capacity, even after keeping them stored loaded for two weeks.

I have not used them on the range yet-I will let you know how that goes. On the bench they feed all bullet types well and they eject smmothly out of 15 1911's I have tried them in.

Metalform should consider vibratory polishing these mags to make the finish more consistent and eye-appealing. It would also deburr some of the sharp spots that exist on these mags if they are representative of the product.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Anthony Lombardo said:
I have three of these mags and they show promise although they are not 100% there yet, IMO.

They are almost excessively and somewhat unevenly satin polished. In some places near the bottom the tubes are as thin as .019 and as thick as .030 near the lips.

The follower appears to be the same Metalform round top follower we have seen for years, except with a greater degree of satin polish that appears to be hand applied also. It has quite a bit of fore and aft movement in the tube.

The spring is 13 coils and appears to be Wolff. No real surpises here.

The lip dimensions were fairly consistent on the mags(.380-384). The lips are tighter than my Wilson's (.410) and similar to Novak's (ACT-MAG).

For the price ($38) I am somehwat underwhelmed by the construction and finish. The mags are extremely difficult to seat when charged to capacity, even after keeping them stored loaded for two weeks.

I have not used them on the range yet-I will let you know how that goes. On the bench they feed all bullet types well and they eject smmothly out of 15 1911's I have tried them in.

Metalform should consider vibratory polishing these mags to make the finish more consistent and eye-appealing. It would also deburr some of the sharp spots that exist on these mags if they are representative of the product.
Anthony,
Thank you for the report, although it is quite disappointing. I had high hopes for the new Elites being a top quality magazine. I guess I will continue to carry my 7 round Metalforms.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Well I hope you'll stick with us as we perfect the product. I know I wanted things to go more smoothly as the product moved along. However with a limited bank roll, the problem has taken more time and money to correct. I'll be picking up the second generation of magazines this week.

Please contact me for purchase and pricing as I test and eval each magazine prior to shipping.

Respectfully,

Christopher Provosts
Provost Precision's Pistols, LLC
Cerberus Tactical
Directed Operations Group
Elite Magazines
www.p3llc.com

·
Registered
104 Posts
Elite 2nd Gen Mags

We've just come out with the 2nd gen mags. Yes, there are lots of changes made to this product and I hope you'll like what we've done.

When I started this project over 2 years ago, I would have never thought it would have taken this long to perfect the product. And perfection is a very difficult thing. The geometrical problems alone are numerous and complicated. The production of tooling takes forever and then you hope the product comes together. We've changed a lot of things to include production and testing. Please address me with your problems and concerns as our intention is to produce the best 1911 magazines.

Repectfully,

Christopher Provost
Elite Magazines
Cerberus Tactical
www.P3LLC.com
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I recently got the opportunity to test and evaluate one of the Elite Gen II magazines. It looks like there are still some bugs to work out with these magazines. Hopefully this mag just missed the quality control guy. But at a list price of $44.00, I would expect these to be of better quality.

The Elite magazine appears to be a slightly longer magazine tube (ala Tripp and ACT-MAG) with a standard Metalform follower and spring and a Tripp Research floor plate. The magazine loads easily, comes apart easily and drops free from the gun. The exterior finish is rough and, as a result, the mag does not drop free from my test pistol as fast as a Wilson or Power Mag.

The test pistol was a Springfield Loaded that has been reliable with ball and LSWC ammo. The gun runs fine with Power Mags, Wilson 8-rounders and my mix of GI-type, Shooting Star and "whatever else I have found" mags. Using the Elite II mag, I experienced my only failure to feed. This occurred after using the Elite through several cycles. Once the follower and mag tube got a little dirty, the follower started dragging just enough to prevent reliable feeding of the last round. Even with the last round difficulties, the mag did continue to lock the slide open after the last shot. Even with the magazine clean, the follower still rubs and drags on the inside of the tube.

It looks like these magazines could either benefit from the use of Tripp Research followers to go along with the base plates or some additional polishing and fitting of the steel follower to the mag tube.

These don't seem to be worth even close to the list price. Sorry.

The Elite Mag compared to the old "tired and true."

Both mags disassembled

The Elite spring and follower compared to a Tripp Research spring and follower

·
Registered
104 Posts
You are correct about slowing down the follower....we've recently stopped coating the follower with Black Oxide for that reason. The mags apparently didn't get polished prior to finish, and as such are rough. I know you didn't purchase it from me, as I test each round prior to shipment, therefore you must have purchased directly from Metalform. Every Midnight Mag leaving here has the black follower removed and replaced with the polished follower and is shot with the ammo of your choice. I'm made changes with Metalforms manuacturing procedure to eliminate problems like you're experiencing. Can you tell me when and from whom you purchased? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
ProPistols said:
You are correct about slowing down the follower....we've recently stopped coating the follower with Black Oxide for that reason. The mags apparently didn't get polished prior to finish, and as such are rough. I know you didn't purchase it from me, as I test each round prior to shipment, therefore you must have purchased directly from Metalform. Every Midnight Mag leaving here has the black follower removed and replaced with the polished follower and is shot with the ammo of your choice. I'm made changes with Metalforms manuacturing procedure to eliminate problems like you're experiencing. Can you tell me when and from whom you purchased? Thanks!
This mag was actually loaned to me by an acquiantance off another board. I'll contact him and see where he got the mags.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Elite

I really like the appearance and the round count holes. I love the basepad.

Other than that my experiences mirror those of Tokarev..However... After I bought the mags (I purchased direct from Christopher) I soon received a phone call specifically to inquire about my satisfaction with the mags. I did not respond at that time as I had yet to use the mags. I have now used them pretty extensively and agree with the above poster..kind of. I have now again been contacted by Christopher regarding the mags - unsolicited and of his initiation - and been asked about what I thought of the product and, after my report about my problems (minor ones) to Christopher, I was told that changes had already been made in both the followers and the springs to address the situation. I was also offered both new followers and springs (when the springs arrive) to redo the mags I already have. I like the interaction and concern show by Christopher about his product!

Of course only time will tell about what will be the result of the springs and follower change - but - I will reserve judgment on what appears to be a great start on a very nice mag. :)

My .02

·
Registered
93 Posts
At the current cost per mag and that they are not delivering the preformance that a Wilson or Tripp mag can deliver, I don't see me trading my tried and true Wilson mags for them.

I like the ideal of the round count holes and markings too, but not enough to pay $40-$44 a pop for them.

I can get 2 Wilson mags for each one of them.

Maybe in the future if the cost comes down and they turn out a more reliable mag, I 'll give one a try.

·
Registered
104 Posts
You don't know they are not as reliable if you don't own one. My original
Gen 1 mags have gone 30,000 plus rounds without failure in several guns. A lot of how a magazine runs has a lot to do with gun setup. For example; we also build machineguns and don't run Wolff Ammo for a very specific reason. The Wolff brown ammo has a steel casing that is lacquered. The lacquer has a tendency to build up in the chamber and cause failures. I know a lot of guys on these forums LOVE Wolff ammo for the cost. I've had testers who shoot Wolff come here and tell me the mags don't work. We've properly cleaned the pistols, changed old tired recoil springs, cleaned the chambers and the guns, mags and brass cased ammo run without a single hiccup. Now, can I control every aspect of every gun, of course not! But, I can say the mags are getting better BECAUSE people are shooting them and giving me feedback to make them better. If you'd like to know more about my mags, give me a call and we'll talk.

Respectfully,

Christopher

·
Registered
93 Posts
Christopher, You are correct, I do not have one. Based on what I have read by people that have them, I will not be getting them either.

Not until the cost comes down and they run as reliably as the Wilson mags.

No trying to offend you, but I do not see your mags as a better product as the Wilson mags.

I have tens of thousands of rounds through Wilson mags and they have never let me down. In fact on several guns, the Wilson's lasted longer than the gun did..:grumble:

I shoot between 700-1000 rounds a week. I'm lucky enough to have a day that I can goto the range every week, weather premitting.

If I find someone that is willing to loan me one of your mags, I will run the crap outa it and report what I find.

I do wish you good luck in your endevor, it's always nice when someone enters the gun market. Hopefully yours will turn out to be sucessful in the end.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Inasmuch as I have a couple on order, I am looking forward to them working
great (hope). As soon as I get to run them, I will report here.

·
Banned
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So if I purchased gen 1 mags from metalform, can I get some new springs and followers from you for a nominal cost?

·
Registered
120 Posts
I've got a couple of midnights and a high polish magazine on order myself, and am very much looking forward to testing them - I have a SIG GSR and a Custom Springfield Loaded lined up to do some ammo torture testing, Federal 230Gr, and Rem Golden Saber, on these mags. Mine should be here any day now.

Time will tell, but Chris has been very up-front and helpful through all my questions and concerns. I'm seeing that that sort of interest and customer support doesn't stop after the sale, which is a very good sign. I had already promised to let him know how I like them.

In any case, any company that builds and sells $3+K 1911 combat pistols has to know some, if not everything, about what a 1911 needs to be 100% reliable.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Alston said:
Time will tell, but Chris has been very up-front and helpful through all my questions and concerns. I'm seeing that that sort of interest and customer support doesn't stop after the sale, which is a very good sign. I had already promised to let him know how I like them.
I have to say that I'm impressed with seeing Christopher right here on the board responding! That's a neat thing to see and I wish more people in the industry would stop in and visit.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Oh sure Anthony, now you want to do business with me ;) Not to worry, I'll get you hooked up properly. I was just informed it will be a couple (few) more weeks until Wolff can supply me with springs.

Please keep shooting them Anthony, but use good ammo and a clean pistol so we can eliminate any additional factors that may affect the function of the magazines. We stated earlier that Wolff Ammo may plug the chamber, light recoil springs and improper lubrication may cause issues. Another issue is some folks think they can slingshot a 1911, you can not. There is no spring attached to the slide stop such as on a Glock or Sig. And, if you charge the pistol from a closed slide, you must not retard the forward movement of the slide by riding the slide (touching it on it's movement) In a proper charge from a closed slide where a right handed shooter is operating, the left hand should strike the right shoulder after being released from the slide. That ensures no riding of the slide.

If anyone has any questions, just drop me a note or give me a call at the office.

Respectfully,

Christopher Provost
Provost's Precision Pistols, LLC
Cerberus Tactical
www.P3LLC.com

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
years ago I stumbled onto Metalform mags , I found them more reliable in all my 1911's than the Wilson's , they Metalforms worked in every 1911 I had reliably , I would guess between me and my dad we have over 40 metal forms and none have ever given me problems. They will continue to get my $$$ every time.....

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just My 2 cents

I would like to say that I do not have any of the mag's that are being discussed. I am still waiting to see what happens and the input from other shooters. I only shoot about 25 to 50 rounds in a month or maybe more. I have had contact with Chris, he has always answered all my questions completly and very quickly. I work in the family business, I deal with a lot of different vendors, people, small and large. I find Chris to be very professional and a honest stand up man. I wish him luck in his effert to build the better mouse trap, so to speak. I look forward to buying and useing his product in the future.

Thank You,

SNAFU1

1 - 20 of 21 Posts