1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the difference between Metalform's 45-793B and thier Springfield FBI model 45-793FBI? They are different prices so I assume there is a difference. I was told that the FBI model has a bumper pad, so does the "std" 45-793B. Is this just a marketing ploy?

·
Registered
347 Posts
When I spoke to Metalform several months ago they said the FBI mag used the 7rd welded base plate tube with their flat top follower and a Wolfe +10% spring. I think the extra $ are for the Wolfe spring.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess if the FBI requested a 10% heavier spring it would be the most reliable setup?

·
Registered
685 Posts
I have six of the FBI MetalForm mags and have had zero problems with them in several thousands of rounds (over 8,000)
The heavier spring aids in making sure the round is pushed up to help feeding. The first FBI guns were issued with the Wilson mags, but they had some problems and went to the MetalForm tuned mags.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Chet said:
I guess if the FBI requested a 10% heavier spring it would be the most reliable setup?
I suppose so. There is no question in my mind that the Springfield Professional (FBI model) runs better, longer, with the Metalform 7 rounders than it does with the Wilson 47D 8 rounders.

I bought ten extra FBI mags from Metalform, and as I recall they were actually pretty inexpensive, about $11.50 each or thereabouts. I have not had a single problem with these mags after about 14000 rounds through two separate pistols. Three of these are carry mags, the rest get regular (sometimes rough) use.

I wish I could say the same about the Wilson mags, but to Wilsons credit, they recently sent me replacement springs (much stronger than the originals) for my 47Ds and those seem to be much better now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts