1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As an old MARINE (89-94), I have always wanted to build a copy of a MEU-SOC 1911. Now I find myself with the time to complete this project I have pretty much decided on a Caspian frame and slide combo to start. Anyone have any advice on using this combo or do you recommend another direction.

Also, what are the best options to get on the frame and slide as Capian offers a ton?

Thanks in advance,
ASO544

·
Registered
59 Posts
Former Marine 2111 here...Semper Fi Brother...basically look at the MEU SOC specs and copy the features onto the Caspian Frame...then tweak it the way you want (checkering, Beaver tail ect)...Post some pics of the build...

BTW found this as reference point... http://www.berryhillguns.com/meusoc.html

·
Registered
91 Posts
thanks - front and rear sights were purchased from Auto Ordnance - fixed 3 dot - staked front, dovetail rear.

·
Registered
396 Posts
As an old MARINE (89-94), I have always wanted to build a copy of a MEU-SOC 1911. Now I find myself with the time to complete this project I have pretty much decided on a Caspian frame and slide combo to start. Anyone have any advice on using this combo or do you recommend another direction.

Also, what are the best options to get on the frame and slide as Capian offers a ton?

Thanks in advance,
ASO544
ASO544,
I'm still in transit home from CENTCOM, but can offer you .pdf copies of the Technical Manual for the MEU(SOC) 1911 in a few days if you're interested. Otherwise, I can just give you the parts numbers used on most/all of the MEU(SOC) pistols, though some are no longer in production I will recommend identical replacements. As for slide and frame options, the frames on all of the ones I have seen are standard USG issue frames, so I would go with a standard carbon 1911A1 receiver. There is much more variance in the MEU(SOC) slides. Some are Caspian, most are Springfield Armory commercial slides. Some have forwards serrations, some don't. Some have slanted serrations in the rear, some don't. Go with a standard rear sight cut when you place your order and use Dave Berryhill's excellent MEU(SOC) reproduction rear sight. Front sight is a .200" tall, plane black or orange, Millett stake-on sight. Grip safety is a Clark, part number CLK-180 (Brownell's #181-115-180). King's ambidextrous thumb safety part #KG-201A. Since the MGW hammer has been discontinued, Dave Berryhill sells a copy through his website and Brownell's. Beyond those few, specified parts, most of the rest depended on what was ordered at one time or another and you'll see variance in brand names and parts. A flat mainspring housing with lanyard loop is also available from a number of sources. If I recall, most of the issued ones were serrated rather than checkered.
-R

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'd like it too, if possible. I'd like to see the original specs.

I put two together, one on a S/A milspec and the other on a series '80 Colt. I really like the pistols and the no-nonsense features.

Couldn't find the Berryhill sight on his web page. I used the Yost retro rear on mine, really liked the wide notch.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Put me down for a copy as well. And welcome home.:rock:

·
Registered
396 Posts
I am home now, and my daughter has been born, so I can take a few minutes and get this out to y'all! Since the file is 1.01MB, I cannot upload it here, as I would have liked. However, here is a link to a site that has a soft copy available for download. If the link is broken or disabled, search the web for "TM 00526A." You will find the manual is very basic and that many of the parts are interchangeable depending on what product was available at the time of order; much like the current 1911A2s being fielded in limited numbers and the Caspians they are replacing.
-R

http://www.m1911.org/MEUSOCmilmanual.pdf

1 - 13 of 13 Posts