1911Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have carried concealed both in the line of duty and off duty and got use to the "Mexican" carry....slipped into the pants just behind the strong side hip. I have tried all kinds of holster but always go back to the carry that is most comfortable for me. With rubber grips this works well as the gun won't slide. I once had a Combat Commander with factory wooden grips slide down into the seat of my pants! Embarassing I guess! Anyway, does anyone else prefer this kind of carry?

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Rarely... The benefits of a holster outweigh the possiblity of losing the gun. Keeping it in the same place, securely is very important to me.

For LEO duty purposes, I can't see many reasons to go 'mexican' unless you're doing "deep cover" drug work, in which case, a holster would probably scream "5-0". For most LE's, running, jumping, and rolling around in a scuffle, going 'mexican' is likely to get them killed with their own gun.

Just my $.02

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Another thought... Back in the 80's, "Magnum PI" carry was popular... Occasionally, I may "exercise" this today, but only on rare occasions where I am moving something from outside, to inside, or vice-versa, and just need to quickly "don" a "back-up".

·
Registered
335 Posts
Ok... Yeah... I do use Mexican Carry from time to time. Mostly when I am going to somewhere where I will not be able to stay "concealed" all day and I can't have the holster show when I take off the vest. So it is Mexican Carry to and from the truck.

Bubba

·
Registered
622 Posts
I've tried "Mexican" and have, also, had the pistol slip down in my pants. Luckily, I was wearing bloused trousers, and, except for a lump at my ancle (And a 1911 makes a damn big lump!) no one noticed.

I' not a LEO, but, it is my understanding that LEOs tend to be more suspicious of someone packing heat without a holster. The reason being that it's much more difficult to ditch a gun AND a holster than it is to ditch just the gun. I further understand that they would tend to be less suspicious of someone who had a descent hoster, thinking that they, more likely, had authority to be packing heat.

Yr. Obt. Svnt.

------------------
Fred J. Drumheller
NRA Life
Nra Golden Eagle

·
Banned
982 Posts
Let me get this straight? You are full time LE and you carry on and off duty M/C on purpose?

Do I prefer this style of carry?

NO

Have I used M/C under duress or out of lazziness? Yes. Would I ever suggest it? No!

I would consider my gun running down my leg a little more than embarrassing. In the profesional world I work in with a gun...we would have more specific descriptions of someone who does prefer this carry and leave the topic at that

A string holster is acceptable. M/C isn't.

·
Registered
191 Posts
The "deep undercover" idea intrigues me...

I'm not a LEO either, but I agree with the rest; bad guys- to a man- won't use a holster, for the reasons already given. (To tough to ditch, plus the fact that most thugs aren't the gun-nut type, and aren't about to wander into a Wal-Mart and pick up a holster for the price of a dime bag of Rock, holsters add bulk and make it harder to hide, etc.)

So if you're undercover and using a holster, the bad guy is gonna *know* you're a cop. And that's a good way to ruin a whole day...

Okay then, why not take some denim- assuming jeans like 80% of the world- and make a short strip of "second waistband" inside the regular waistband, and shaped like a belt-slide, "Yaqui slide", etc...?

Sew the denim with a rolled seam edge, and keep it rough-side-in, use thread the same color and style as the rest of the pants, and you'll have a "holster" that's essentially invisible when empty. If done carefully enough- heck, stick on the size & brand laundry tag for camoflage- it could even go unnoticed if they make you take your pants off to check for "wires".

More camoflage- sew the "inner waistband" all the way around, fly-to-fly. Then, if the BGs do make you take off your pants, or otherwise make a thorough search, it'll just look like a split seam- have a couple of loose threads strategically placed- and might even go less noticed than a 'string holster'.

The ultimate "Inside-the-waistband" holster...

If anyone tries it, let us know.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Mexcian carry isn't acceptable??? according to who? I've never had my gun slip down my leg when carrying Mexican, but I have had it happen when the screw on the clip of my IWB holster came out.

------------------
Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they AREN'T out to get you.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I'm not a fan of mexican carry. In a training class once, I took a head-over-heels tumble. My M1911 stayed put in its holster. Would have come tumbling out if I had been using mexican carry.

I've know a couple folks who were carrying mexican style and had their gun fall down their pants and come out the ankle. You're not exactly carrying concealed when you have to pick up your gun off the grocery store floor.

If I do ever face Mr. Goblin, I'm more than likely going to have to employ the ancient art of Run Fu at some point during the confrontation. And I think that my gun is a whole lot more likely to fall out of my waistband than it is to fall out of my holster.

Finally, in the event of a grab attempt, even an open-top holster gives you more help in retention than mexican carry.

Carry however it works for you. Personally, I carry in a holster.

M1911

·
Registered
43 Posts
How about a "Clipdraw" for those who don't want to use a holster but want an extra bit of 'falling down the pants' prevention?

And no, I wouldn't use one or do Mexican Carry unless I had to!

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I sometimes use the Mexican Carry for two different guns. One is a Beretta Model 84 and sometimes I'll carry a 1911 patten in that style.

I carry with the gun tucked into the waist band just behind the strong side hip with the butt forward.

That position seems to be more secure for me and I'm not troubled by the gun slipping down to the point of passing under the belt line. (I'm skinny and have to keep my belt pretty tight anyway.)

It is not particularly secure if you engage in such activities as calisthenics or scuffling on the ground. But then a number of holsters are not particularly secure with those activities either.

I use an appendix carry every once in a while for a small j-frame - but I use the Barami "Grip Clip" (Not sure of the exact trade name.) I do feel the risk of "pant leg exit" is higher with the Mexican Carry in the appendix position. Especially with autos. Conversely I think the "pant leg exit" potential for behind the hip Mexican Carry would be a bit higher with revolvers.

IMHO - YMMV

------------------
Jim Fox

·
Registered
15,320 Posts
Try running...

...then contact Milt Sparks or Galco.

------------------
"all my ammo is factory ammo"

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
The key issue in regards to using MC is presentation. With a good holster and belt, you can have the same presentation everytime. With MC, that's a different story. Unless you're really into tight fitting pants.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dane, I am a retired LEO and in the "old days" I worked undercover vice/narcotics where a holster was hard to conceal especially under summer clothing. Also there was not the variety of cc holsters and gear that there is now. When I went back to uniform I carried mexican style as backup only, having my issue firearm on my gear belt. After doing this for more years than I would like to admit to, it became second nature to carry my ccw in this fashion. and, as I am a 1911 fan, my oldest and most trusted weapon is my tried and trusted 1911 Combat Commander. The only problem I have run into is that it is hard to access while sitting in a vehicle with the seat belt on. Many times I will take it out and slip it between the seat and back rest while driving, which is legal under the ccw laws of my state.

·
Registered
118 Posts
If you wanna carry like that, try the belly band (www.gunvideos.com). It adds no more thickness or weight but will give you a lot more support. It is VERY versatile. I prefer a good holster and belt when I have the option though. Just a thought.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Yep,I confess.It gets pretty damn hot down here,and a long t-shirt or untucked buttonup is what I wear 9mos out of the year.I also prefer my jeans to fit normal,not a size large for an IWB that makes me look like I have a 'load' in my britches.While I don't carry this way if I'm anticipating physical exertion of myself,for the average day of running around town,it's quite comfortable and secure.I can even hide a larger(Beretta 92)gun in the SOB.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I have several clip-draws. Mixed reviews. On a larger gun, e.g., M64 3inch or M39-2, it works quite well. However, on a J-frame I found it unsatisfactory. A J-frame sits with much of its mass above the belt and I had the thing come out when I bent over. Fortunately, I was testing it at home so it wasn't a big deal. But I took it off and put the Barami Hip-Grip back on. The revolver rides lower in the belt with the Barami and is much more secure, but not as secure as with a holster. You may run into the mass above the belt problem with the P-12, it's hard to say.

Probably the best low profile rig I have used is the 4D mini-holster, which hasn't been manufactured in years. Much like a string holster, but made out of Porvair with a small metal clip which goes over the pants not the belt. Fortunately I have two because one is finally wearing out after being used for 25 years.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.