1911Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a SA Micro-compact ("mil-spec") with parked finish on a steel frame. I put mil-spec in quotes because, being an odd size, it can't be mil-spec. It also has a lowered ejection port, rear slide serrations, novak nite sights, dovetailed front sight, and a flared mag-well.
From the beginning, it had feeding problems. It would "nosedive" a round in the middle of the mag (generally not first or last). By nosedive I mean the slide would push on the head of the case. The round would tilt forward, parallel to the bore, with the nose of the bullet against the feed ramp. Sometimes, merely pulling the slide back and releasing would clear. Other times, I had to jerk out the mag, causing the jammed round to pop out. I would then re-insert the mag and cycle the action for it to fire. It did this with the SA factory mag, a Chip McCormick 7 rd officer's mag, and 3 Wilson 8 rd mags. On the last mag I fired, I had an FTX, where the extractor pulled the fired case halfway out then let go. It tried to feed another underneath it. It did the failures to feed only with JHP ammo. I tried Fed. Hydrashok (both 230 and 165 gr.) and Speer gold dot (230 gr). It DID feed the 165 gr Federal EFMJ and it fed all the FMJ ammo I could find just fine except for the FTX,which was on a Win FMJ white box. At that point, I gave up and sent it back to SA. This is the 3rd SA product I've purchased and the 3rd that had to go back.
When It came back, Here's what they did (according to the packing slip):
"Reamed barrel
"Recut barrel ramp & polished
"Opened breech walls
"Tested w/hornady 230 fmj, remington golden saber 230 hp, federal premium 230 hp."

They included the box tops from the ammo, but no target.

I then tested it using FMJ ammo. It wouldn't extract reliably. I would get 1 or 2 FTX each mag, whatever mag I tried. I managed to tune the extractor to work and that problem went away. Then, I tried it with JHPs, and the SAME PROBLEM still exists. I loaded the pistol and fired one round. The first round in the mag nosedived. I tried a second mag, same thing. I left the range.
It looks like I call SA tomorrow for ANOTHER RMA#. Man, this is getting real old...

·
Registered
529 Posts
Are the hollowpoints that are FTF the same type that SA tested with? The ones you mentioned earlier (SGDs and FHSs) were different than what SA tested (RGS and FP-HP) with.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One of the box tops they included was for 230 gr. Hydra-shoks, same as I was using.

[rant]
Really, though, I would hope that a SELF DEFENSE gun would be able to handle a wider variety of ammo reliably, especially HPs. I shouldn't have to be limited to 'special' loads that may not be readily available, or to FMJs.

Sorry, maybe I'm expecting too much from an expensive self defense weapon...

[/rant]

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
<4" = problems, in my experience. This is another topic that has been rehashed a billion times. I am one of those who contributed. I had a micro with the same problems (3 trips back). Now I have a compact (4" w/ officer frame). No less concealable, and 100% more reliable, again, in my experience. If you're serious about having a defense gun that you can trust, do what I did. The fact of the matter is, even if you correct the problem, are you gonna trust the gun w/ your life? In my case, I wouldn't.

Probably not what you want to hear, but....

·
Banned
1,473 Posts
Take a look at this thread, it talks about some of the things you're headed for.

A Springfield Micro is too small, and the recoil assembly is an unreliable nightmare.

When you're calling Lisa at Springfield to negotiate the trade in of your Micro on a government model, remember that she doesn't always return calls right away, but she always gets it done.

Good luck, you're going to need it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts